Author Topic: AutoCAD Startup Times Custom CUI  (Read 1739 times)

npstewart87

• Mosquito
AutoCAD Startup Times Custom CUI
« on: March 08, 2021, 10:52:42 AM »
I've noticed that when I have my custom cuix / menus start with autocad, that autocad takes substantially longer to load then if I were just to load autocad with the standard .cuix files. For example, Autocad takes about 8 seconds to start with the standard cuix file. However, if I connect my other customization files and then restart, autocad takes about 40-50 seconds to load. Is this fairly typical?

QUESTION: If you dont mind me asking, how long does it take does it take your autocad to start?

I start counting right after I double click the icon, and then I stop counting as soon as I can move my cross hairs. My default file that im opening is just the blank acad.dwt with nothing in it.

tombu

• Bull Frog
  • ByLayer=>Not0
Re: AutoCAD Startup Times Custom CUI
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 11:12:03 AM »
That sounds like an excessive amount of time for loading a custom cuix file. I'd guess you're loading a lot of code along with it maybe with a custom.mnl file? Are the custom cuix files you're connecting in the same folder as the installed ones? Are they in a folder on your PC or on a network?
Tom Beauford P.S.M.
Leon County FL Public Works - Windows 7 64 bit AutoCAD Civil 3D

npstewart87

• Mosquito
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 12:03:28 PM »
Yes, im loading several custom .mnl files too. Those files are in different folders than the cuix folders - do you think it would help to move them together? Theyre only one folder away in the same general location. I dont use a network drive for these particular files.

The computer I built is a beast but it seems like regardless of the computer, these files only load so fast. My PC build is a AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 12 core, 64 GB Ram, Radeon Pro WX7100 Graphics. However, my load times are generally as fast as they were with my off the shelf computer I was using. Autocad never really seems to care what I do with my PC...

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »
I'd guess it's code running from an MNL file? I used to do a drawing clean on open and it took a bit longer to open drawings .. especially the larger ones.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

npstewart87

• Mosquito
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 12:38:03 PM »
I watched a Youtube video where a guy modified the startup target path for autocad so that it wouldnt display the splash screen for autocad. It saved him like 50 seconds of start up time. I havent tried this yet but theres no way that a splash screen adds 50 seconds to the start up time lol.

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 11:11:53 PM »
Do you need to load all the mnl files. There are other methods of loading programs on demand.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

tombu

• Bull Frog
  • ByLayer=>Not0
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 10:09:18 AM »
Most of us have a small handful of routines we use on an everyday basis that are loaded every time we open a drawing but the bulk of them are either loaded by macros when we use them or by using autoload (AutoLISP) https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-421B36DE-38EA-4161-9768-01647B5492E8 functions that are loaded every time we open a drawing to load functions as they are entered.

Besides the lag when loading everything as you are it's affecting AutoCAD performance as well. It also makes tracking down what lisp might be causing issues when they pop up. With as much code as you're loading conflicts are likely to show up eventually.
Tom Beauford P.S.M.
Leon County FL Public Works - Windows 7 64 bit AutoCAD Civil 3D