Author Topic: AutoLISP versus .Net - Pros and Cons  (Read 11800 times)

Vaidas

• Newt
Re: AutoLISP versus .Net - Pros and Cons
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »
If you're thinking about single code for all versions and CAD platforms and also about different OS's, then (alert "LISP rulez!")
(mapcar 'chr '(107 105 116 111 120 46 99 111 109))

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »
If you're thinking about single code for all versions ... ...")

This is one of the main reasons I used lisp for my application (that and I know lisp) :)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:27:44 AM »
Just came across this: http://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html

I think it sums up the whole thing nicely!

A fantastic article - thank you for sharing Irné  :-)

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »
A fantastic article - thank you for sharing Irné  :-)
Pleasure! The article is a bit old though, but it still applies. And due to its elderly nature it actually indicates just what is wrong with this industry.

It was referring to Java as the "new" fashionable language ... i.e. industry best practice. Java's been that for a while now, and it's steadily lost that "top of the heap" connotation - in lieu of DotNet. Strange really, the intention of Java was to have a program which would run on anything without needing reprogramming and/or recompilation - but these days it's mostly relegated to server side apps.

Goes to show, following fashion is not necessarily (or even, if experience is taken into account, ever) a guarantee of being a good decision. It only means you're making the same average decision as the rest of your competition. It might even be superseded by something entirely new in a very short while.

Around the end of the 90's Java was becoming the favourite of everyone. To the point where 90% of all programming jobs was Java based in the early 2000's (I know, I was there at the time - scars to prove it  :laugh:). Only 5 years of true top-of-the-heap status and the new kid on the block (DotNet) started to make inroads. I wonder how long it's going to take before it also seems a bit long-in-the-tooth. Especially seeing as "online" is the new "in thing": http://www.aeonmagazine.com/living-together/james-somers-web-developer-money/
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.