Author Topic: Closing Drawing While In Block Editor  (Read 2443 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Closing Drawing While In Block Editor
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:25:23 AM »
This one is really getting me upset. I'm cruising along editing a bunch of blocks and suddenly decide I don't need to edit the one I'm in and hit the little white "X" in the upper right corner and say no to saving changes and then realize I closed the drawing and not the block.

Why is that "X" there? How do I make it go away?

:realmad:
CAD Tech

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: Closing Drawing While In Block Editor
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:47:25 AM »
Yes I have experience that same frustration too.  I have made it go away with using keyboard commands shortcuts.  But that really doesn't fix the issue
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »
"Uhhh.... maybe you should just pay attention to what you're doing and not be so click-happy.  You're welcome!"

~ Nick Burns, your company's computer guy
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »
CAD Tech

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
I've done the same thing often enough that it really pisses me off some days.

It's basic computer habits across /any/ software that you 'close' things by going upper-right.  And since Autocad moved the 'close drawing' button from being at the top-right of the overall window, to being inside the _DRAWING SPACE_ (seriously who thought that was a good idea?) overall intuition/ergonomics seemed to make me think the close button in the drawing space was to close the current operation / block editor.  And since I'm used to hitting a quick key whenever the inevitable popup of yes/no/cancel pops up, I never made distinction between that popup and the 'close block editor' popup.

So annoying.

However, setting "MENUBAR" to 1, like I have it, will put it where it should be.  If you're not someone who ever wants the menus up, I guess it's a case of picking the lesser evil.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »
That just may work, Mr. Nieman. That is until I get used to the new location. At least I will have to go buy the close block editor button with my curser to get there which may be enough to remind me.
CAD Tech

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »
It's only the presence inside the working area that made me think the 'x' for for closing the block editor.  When it's moved up to just below the general "close autocad" x, I don't seem to ever have the same problem.  HTH

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 10:25:25 AM »
Mr. Nieman,

Your explanation is right on and your suggestion is working quite well for me. I may just have to put a few menus on the bar that I would find useful from time to time.

Thanks.
CAD Tech

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »
You can redefine the command BEdit and BEditClose to some lisp routines which start the menubar before entering Bedit Mode and close it afterwards.

I lost newly created blocks several times this way too.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.