Author Topic: Stack Overflow question checklist  (Read 1554 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
Re: Stack Overflow question checklist
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »
Some very good points! Though some might need a "bit" of modification to work with these forums.

What I have found a lot on these (especially on CT and Augi) is non-programmers asking for stuff to be created. I think in those cases a different set of criteria might apply, e.g.
  • Check if you can find something which does what you're after, or even something which comes close.
  • If you can't find anything, include some of the search phrases you used in your post.
  • If you did find something, but it's not exactly as you need, include a link to what you've found and describe the difference you expect.
  • Include as much info about your system as you can, e.g. version, vertical, operating system, other addons you're using, etc. If in doubt, rather add than leave out.
  • Describe the issue as clearly as possible. Preferably describe the steps you'd have done manually in order to get what you want to automate.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
Good post Kerry, but this reminds me of one of my pet peeves.

There's an implied assumption that everybody posting questions *wants* to improve their question, but that's obviously not true. Sure, there are many diligent people who try their best to contribute and do their homework when asking for help, but humans will naturally try to game the system. The gamers are simply finding the path of least resistance, and they will do as little as possible to get what they want. Posting tips are great for the diligent ones, but even the most diligent poster will do no more than he or she believes necessary. I think the one single most important step we all can take to improve the quality of questions is to put conscious effort into rewarding the diligent ones and not rewarding the gamers.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
I quit posting on stack overflow a long time ago because of the narcissistic attitude of many of the people.

Ultimately, there is a single question that one should ask themselves whenever they see a question posed. "Do I want to attempt to answer this question?" If the answer is no, then move along to the next question.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie