Author Topic: Setting UCS correctly with model comprised of 3D solids  (Read 5928 times)

hyposmurf

Setting UCS correctly with model comprised of 3D solids
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
I'm having problems drawing pipework in MEP on a 3D model that has come from laser survey.The 3D model is comprised of solids.Cant snap to the solids,they have no elevations like in MEP parts and the UCS is all over the shop.If I try to set the UCS to the surface of a 3D solid pipe then it it gives me lots of weird results, as the pipes are all drawn at different angle.

Is there a way to completely reset the UCS to how it was originally?I've tried changing it to face,object and WCS and none of them give me great results.

tedg

• Swamp Rat
Re: Setting UCS correctly with model comprised of 3D solids
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:30:25 AM »
I'm having problems drawing pipework in MEP on a 3D model that has come from laser survey.The 3D model is comprised of solids.Cant snap to the solids,they have no elevations like in MEP parts and the UCS is all over the shop.If I try to set the UCS to the surface of a 3D solid pipe then it it gives me lots of weird results, as the pipes are all drawn at different angle.

Is there a way to completely reset the UCS to how it was originally?I've tried changing it to face,object and WCS and none of them give me great results.
When you say reset the UCS to how it was originally? do you mean the World Coordinate System?
IF so just type on the comand line "ucs" "w" and that should re-set it.

As far as setting a UCS for your 3D solid model, can you draw a line (snap) in the center of  pipe?
I'm thinking if you could draw a reference line in the middle of the pipe, and offset that line, and use the UCS 3 point method where you use the command:

UCS, 3,
Specify new origin point <0,0,0>  (select end point of line),
Specify point of X-axis (select along that line),
Specify point on positive-Y portion of UCS XY plane (select end point of offset line above the first pick).

HTH
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023