Author Topic: DATALINK and TABLE not resizing table  (Read 8903 times)

GISDUDE

DATALINK and TABLE not resizing table
« on: June 06, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm using the datalink command to import an excel worksheet. The problem is resizing the table when I have it in AUTOCAD. The properties table will allow me to change the width, but then the height won't change. The original file has these tables inserted as OLE (which I did anyways just to finish this job). But, I'd like to edit the excel table in the future sometime.

Any thoughts?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: DATALINK and TABLE not resizing table
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »
Two thoughts/questions. 
Have you created your own table style?
With a data link the some table formatting is locked.  Right click and and choose unlock.  Note, If the table is updated sometimes not always the formatting that you changed with revert back.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Birdy

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 04:37:56 PM »
I've been experimenting with this too.  Here's what I have learned (YMMV- I am a novice with datalinks):
1. create a table style and the entire table in autocad first.
2. format that table as you want it in autocad
3. Select "Keep data formats, solve formulas in Excel"
4. Do not allow writing to source file (one way link from Excel to acad)
5. uncheck "use excel formatting"
6. Have had big problems with more that 2 or 3 datalinks in one acad file.

This way, all my 'work' is done in excel which has much more powerful formula features, and I can format Excel to look the way I want it there, and it wont screw up how things are formatted in the autocad table which I want to look different.  This also allows me to resize the acad table to fit the sheet.

I also link to named ranges in excel.  No compelling reason, I just found it easier to manage.
But....... I am still learning this stuff.

GISDUDE

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.

Krushert - I have not created a table style. I think this might be a good idea for "CAD STANDARDS" for our utility. I DIDN'T EVEN THINK TO "RIGHT CLICK" AND "UNLOCK"!!  :-o

Jim - I'll try your suggestion regarding the named ranges. I have a feeling that might be part of it.

Birdy

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »
Just gotta be careful with named ranges.  Adding a row in the middle of excel might bump you last row out of the named range, and therefor out of your autocad table.  I have not tested this.

GISDUDE

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:07:24 AM »
Hey guys, I'm trying to unlock the table once it's brought into autocad, but I can only unlock one cell at a time. Is there something I'm missing here?

I've tried to create a table stye and unlock everything I can see, but it seems like autocad will stop the cell heights from being less than 1. So I've tried to change the text size/height and the cell size and height, but the cell height can't go below 1. Is this a default limit in autocad?

Thanks,

GISDUDE

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »
Hey guys - update. When you've set up your datalink and finished the options you need to open up the table command and then you can manipulate the rows from there. Here is a screen shot and "how-to" for your perusal.

I feel sooooo dumb...   :embarrassed: