Author Topic: Embedding custom behaviour  (Read 3406 times)

WILL HATCH

• Bull Frog
Embedding custom behaviour
« on: May 24, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
I think I'm reaching pretty hard here for something that doesn't exist, but before I get too deep into it does anybody know if we can embed some code to implement custom behavior on our objects that will be persistent even after the drawing is shipped to someone who doesn't have the application?? I know we can go as far as storing the code in an xrecord but don't see any mechanism for invoking. 

Gasty

• Newt
Re: Embedding custom behaviour
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »
Hi,

You can embed code in a VBA macro, but the opening AutoCAD need to have the VBA enabler without security settings (enabled macros), even so I'm not sure if VBA support some event  that trigger on open or some other database action.
IMO there is no way to ensure that a "custom behaviour" will behave without user interaction.

Gaston Nunez

nekitip

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
I am not the one who knows, but if such a thing exists (to modify standard behavior of objects without questions), it should be disabled by autodesk immediately.
Security alone is a problem, but also - it would create too mouch of a user confusion if objects start to act unfamiliar to them.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
I am not the one who knows, but if such a thing exists (to modify standard behavior of objects without questions), it should be disabled by autodesk immediately.
Security alone is a problem, but also - it would create too mouch of a user confusion if objects start to act unfamiliar to them.

This.

Custom Objects, embedding data in NOD/XRecord is one thing, but to be capable of embedding executable code in a Drawing that someone _not_ part of your internal, or contract-required user group (parties that are aware of this custom functionality), should not be allowed, if it does.

Anyone could open a drawing, and be exposed to (malicious?) .NET level APIs... Hackers would love something like this... And I thought it was bad enough with Acad.lsp virus/worms using ActiveX.  :ugly:
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

TheMaster

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »
I think I'm reaching pretty hard here for something that doesn't exist, but before I get too deep into it does anybody know if we can embed some code to implement custom behavior on our objects that will be persistent even after the drawing is shipped to someone who doesn't have the application?? I know we can go as far as storing the code in an xrecord but don't see any mechanism for invoking.

Absolutely not.  That would the ultimate security hole.

WILL HATCH

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »
Lol I didn't even think of it in terms of security... Thanks