Author Topic: connection string 64 bit acad 32 bit acces  (Read 3007 times)

Amsterdammed

connection string 64 bit acad 32 bit acces
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »
Hello there,

i thought i had it sorted out with the help from here
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=39667.msg450003#msg450003

but now my collages in the office run office 2010 32 bit  and acad 64 bit and the connection i try to make between acad and access with

Code: [Select]
(strcat"Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;User ID="user";Data Source="database";Mode=Share Deny Write"
  )

does not work . This works on my laptop with office in 64 bits .

strange enough, if i make a connection in excel with access like shown in the link above it works, but if I use that connection string created by the excel application

Code: [Select]
(setq AC_ConnectString
(strcat"Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;User ID=Admin;Data Source="database";Mode=Share Deny Write;
Extended Properties="";Jet OLEDB:System database="";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=6;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=0;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password="";Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False;Jet OLEDB:Support Complex Data=False;Jet OLEDB:Bypass UserInfo Validation=False")

)

it also fails. maybe because  both excel and access are in that 32 bit office. i don't get it anymore help is desperately appreciated!

Thanks

Bernd

Gasty

• Newt
Re: connection string 64 bit acad 32 bit acces
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »
Hi,

This link may help you http://www.connectionstrings.com/.

Gaston Nunez

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »
Microsoft's OLEDB 64-bit and 32-bit drivers cannot be installed simultaneously. I have seen some attempts to hack the installer, but there is no supported way to use 64-bit drivers on a system with 32-bit Office installed.

Amsterdammed

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
so it simply won't work?

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »
It's not supported. There is no technical reason why it can't work.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »
I've seen credible reports of the x64 ACE driver installing successfully using a /passive (?) option.  I've already bumped heads with our IT on this during our x64 roll-out, so I'm expecting to run into similar problems at some point.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:47:47 AM »
I'm seeing more and more people complain about these things. None of the "solutions" are perfect, and some are lots of work - usually in a inverse-relationship.

Here're the solutions I've seen so far (listed from least work and least possibility of success):
(1) The issue with such "hacked together" driver is that it needs to be done to each workstation. And of course could easily be messed up on one or more through a slight mistype / some other setting which might differ.

(2) Could you perhaps use DotNet to connect to the DB? I think the DotNet connections don't worry about 32/64 bit incompatibilities. You could add some lispfunctions in your DotNet DLL so your lisps handle the DWG and UI interaction with ACad, and the DLL only handles linking, sending & retrieving data from the DB.

(3) Or could you translate your DB from Access to something else? If you don't want to install a server on a dedicated machine and want to stick with a normal file based DB, then you could try using DBase / Paradox files instead - there are ODBC drivers for those, and (especially DBase) has many import / export filters in nearly all programs.

(4) Or try SQLite through nullptr's awesome tool: http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=28286.45

(5) I'd avise using a true DB Server instead of Access (or some other file-based DB) if you're going to have more than one person linking to it at once (I've had numerous issues with corrupt MDB files due to multiple concurent edits). Perhaps try something like Ms-SQL Server Express, or MySQL, or PostGre, or FireBird, or any of a number of others (I prefer PostGre / FireBird as it's Open Source and free, has more control than even MS-SQL, and can run on any operating system {Win/Linux/Mac/BSD/Unix} - so the "server" could be some old PC brought to life again).

Note that even Access can be used as the client side into any of these DB servers - so you could still use the forms / reports / queries you've built in Access to work with your data. It's just that your tables would be linked tables instead of directly saved into the MDB file. Or you could use LibreOffice Base instead of Access, as its got native drivers for most of these as well as ODBC / JDBC drivers if not native - another free program which runs on any OS.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

Amsterdammed

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 04:46:19 AM »
In this case i had very little info in the dbase, so i made a txt file with delimiter and search in lisp through it. i just didn't know that in the office my customer changed acad to 64 just one day before i came their with my stuff.

Thanks!!

Bernd