Author Topic: Looking for an XLIST like command for C3D Objects  (Read 11879 times)

caddcop

Looking for an XLIST like command for C3D Objects
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:48:24 AM »
We are just starting our Civil 3D journey and with it, we are also embarking on a completely revamped layer system. Until the staff gets familiar with everything, it would be nice if there was an XLIST like command so they could figure out what layers many of the new objects are on. The base mapping is going to be the biggest hurdle. All of the linework and points will be in an XREF and they need to turn layers off and on to control the final display.
We have different clients so we actually have projects in 2009 thru 2013. I tried working up a quick VBA, using something already written, but it sees coordinates and description only. I tried extending it but could not seem to get it to work.
The original is from Civil3D Reminders, in their Programs section under Get Point Info. http://style.civil3dreminders.com/programming

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Looking for an XLIST like command for C3D Objects
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »
I've never used XLIST so not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it may be of use to you:
http://civilizeddevelopment.typepad.com/civilized-development/2011/10/introducing-snoop-civil-3d-2012-database.html

caddcop

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:54:49 PM »
I believe that looks at the stuff in the Toolspace.
I need users to be able to click on a point and get the marker style layer and label style layer. If I can get that, I can give them a "Turn this layer off?" button.
I can't even get the correct style name from a pick. These items are going to be in an xref so getting down into them is not going to be easy.
I can't get to them while in the actual file containing the points. They will not have that luxury.
This is one of the useability items that sorely needs addressing.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »
With C3D2013 you can use the .NET API to get, and use, information from unopened/non-current drawings. But I am unaware of anything already written to do what you seek.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »
As one who works with several different standards, I've used XLIST for years, and this has been a long time request of Civil 3D as well for us.

What we've done in the interim, is to instead create both 'no plot' and 'no display' styles rather than to freeze layers the way we would back in Land Desktop.

We're gearing up for a jump from Civil 3D 2011 to 2014, so I just may take a stab at coding a utility for this... Thanks for bringing the topic up again.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:07:03 PM »
Perhaps the EntityTracker command in the Sincpac C3D will help? This is what is displayed when hovering over a CogoPoint contained in an Xref.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »
Forgive my asking, Jeff...  But especially given recent events, will SincPac-C3D be released for Civil 3D 2014?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 09:36:41 PM »
Yes, it most definitely will. You can see my thoughts here: www.quuxsoft.com

caddcop

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:33:02 PM »
These newsgroups bring people together from everywhere and I know that we all feel like we have lost a friend and colleague. It is only fitting that you guys carry on his efforts.
BTW, I have some working code. The really strange thing is that it does not work in debug mode, but works fine when run as a macro. I recall a VBA issue in Excel where it would not run in break mode. I don't recall the issue but apparently, whatever I was doing in code was in some way blocked from functioning white stepping through the code.
So far, it works only on the current file. I need to see if I can get some VBA code that lets me bore into an XREF and then pass those objects on. I had a similar macro to examine a Civil 3D surface. I hope to bundle them together to users can examine any Civil 3D object. I might even add code to fire off xlist on the selected object if it is not a civil 3D object. But that will only happen if I can make this an effective tool.
I'm also looking at multi-version VBA code. I found an example while looking for answers - I just hope I can find it again.
I have started playing with .Net code but am far more comfortable in VBA.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 01:49:18 AM »
VBA, while still available to use, is not a viable alternative for C3D, imho. First, in a 64 bit environment it brings the entire system to a crawl (this is something I have read from many place. I have mot tested it for myself). Second, many of the newer features being exposed to the C3D API are only being done so in the .NET API, not COM which is what VBA requires.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 04:11:10 AM »
We are just starting our Civil 3D journey and with it, we are also embarking on a completely revamped layer system. Until the staff gets familiar with everything, it would be nice if there was an XLIST like command so they could figure out what layers many of the new objects are on. The base mapping is going to be the biggest hurdle. All of the linework and points will be in an XREF and they need to turn layers off and on to control the final display.
We have different clients so we actually have projects in 2009 thru 2013. I tried working up a quick VBA, using something already written, but it sees coordinates and description only. I tried extending it but could not seem to get it to work.
The original is from Civil3D Reminders, in their Programs section under Get Point Info. http://style.civil3dreminders.com/programming
from here; using styles is more effectve than using layers
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

caddcop

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 08:12:37 AM »
But we have to create files others can use that do not have Civil 3D. And we would prefer they use object enablers rather than having to always export to AutoCAD. Some of these people are using LT to do simple drafting and are in our office. We certainly do not want to have to keep creating these dumbed down files for interoffice use.
As I understand it, Style Based control really only works for 100% civil 3D shops and also when the design data is available as data shortcuts/vault or live in the file. The survey points are always going to be in XREF'S. If someone has a workflow with examples on how this can work, I' m eager to hear.
As for the VBA/.Net process - If I can get the objects to work in VBA, I can migrate to VB and .Net. I am not as comfortable with .NET at this time and get only a few hours a week to tinker, so I'm trying to work with a language I am most comfortable with for now.
Eventually, I will probably abandon VBA, but for now, it is still my tool of choice for MS office and some other programs.

Wedding

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »

from here; using styles is more effectve than using layers

You won't find it often, but Michael and I are in dead agreement. You'll spend more money trying to programmatically include LT in a Civil 3D workflow than you would to just consolidate on Civil3D as the platform. Seriously. The frustrations, headaches, and lost productivity of trying to work with Civil 3D objects in a dumbed LT environment will be more expensive than Civil 3D seats. And besides, maybe those folks can do more than you think and could step up into more advanced work given the tools.

Beyond that, the XList quest is going to be tough. While you could likely create one that works inside Civil 3D since it has the style APIs, I don't think you could build one that would function in LT.

caddcop

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 09:32:25 AM »
What's really maddening, is that I can use MicroStation and see the layers of the objects and their "Turn off Layer by Object" tool works great on the points, even in XREf's. They use RealDWG code and Autodesk Civil 3D object enablers. I would think Autodesk would see this capability as a "must have" feature.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »
Interesting... Our in-house, veteran FDOT Microstation (V8i) guys cannot even open our Civil 3D drawings without our exporting them to AutoCAD 2007.  :|