Author Topic: Anyone willing to share advice for productive windows form  (Read 7828 times)

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
Anyone willing to share advice for productive windows form
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »
I created a windows form with various tools to help me get through the day, along with buttons to my favorite links, like the swamp. I'd like to make it more useful than that... anyone willing to share about what they might be using, or have any ideas that might help me? PM is okay. You can see the form attached (censored the url links that would identify my location, aliens like to remain hidden from strangers). I want to use the form for more than urls.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:39:36 PM by Alien »

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
Re: Anyone willing to share advice for productive windows form
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »
Appears my form is the best in the world :D bahahahhahahah. ... I knew it!

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »
Alien, I'm not real sure what your question is. All though looking very cool, what does your form accomplish that you cannot do with shortcuts on your desktop?
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:39:19 AM »
Alien, I'm not real sure what your question is. All though looking very cool, what does your form accomplish that you cannot do with shortcuts on your desktop?

1+... Or favorites in your browser of choice.

Another option would be to build CUI components (i.e., Ribbon, Toolbar, Menu buttons) that would launch a WPF (XAML) Browser Application, where you could provide access to myriad resources.

A supplementary benefit to this if you like, is that the same code-behind can be incorporated into Office application interfaces, via VSTO plug-in(s).
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »

ya... all it does is stop me from having to navigate out of cad to open the links, but your question is why I'm asking what else I can create / use forms for when related to cad.

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
Basically would just like to see others examples... what they are doing... though people tend to not share that sort of info... it was worth the question

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »
Basically would just like to see others examples... what they are doing... though people tend to not share that sort of info... it was worth the question
I just have shortcuts in my explorer "Favorites" sort of grouped together by function.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
My forms are built-to-purpse, and use DLLs loaded into AutoCAD rather than an external EXE.  In otherwords, if I need to manipulate a list of data, then the form has controls to facilitate that - a grid view and some buttons.  Anything that calls a command, function, etc. makes use of the existing CUIx interface structure to simplify development, deployment, and maintenance.

I do have a couple of "directory" type external files, but those are either raw HTML or code-generated XML with an XSL transform to HTML.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »
I just have shortcuts in my explorer "Favorites" sort of grouped together by function.

Would have never thought to do it that way... that's awesome!

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »
We have a standard folder structure for our projects, which contains our drawings... we copy it and rename it over and over and over and over and over and over lol... I've been tempted to build something to make that part of my life easier... but not sure what else.

WILL HATCH

• Bull Frog
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 11:45:35 PM »
I got angry with navigating through the open file dialog, or the windows explorer to get at drawings that are in different files folders so I created a treeview that shows only dwg files and shows the preview on the tooltip
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:12:56 AM by WILL HATCH »

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 02:03:06 AM »

Nice Will,
Sheet Set Manager is also useful for that.

WILL HATCH

• Bull Frog
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 02:34:36 AM »
SWEET SUCCESS!!!!
The real reason I started down this road was I have a bunch of programs that work on multiple drawings through the openfiledialog and wanted to make a better way to select them.  The goal was to start with greyscale icons and change them to color when selected, using the mousedoubleclick event to open was a quick way to ease the rage while I pounded my head against WPF... Learning how to get the preview image today (a suggestion from a coworker) was the basis of the fix.

WILL HATCH

• Bull Frog
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 02:39:21 AM »
on that note, does anybody know a fast way to get a preview image without using autocad?  I did some looking into it but didn't find a solid quick solution.  I had to wait until the tooltip is opening to load the images into the tool tip without a noticeable lag when a directory was expanded as a work around.

Cheers

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »
on that note, does anybody know a fast way to get a preview image without using autocad?  I did some looking into it but didn't find a solid quick solution.  I had to wait until the tooltip is opening to load the images into the tool tip without a noticeable lag when a directory was expanded as a work around.

Cheers

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=30985.0
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10