Author Topic: Draworder questions - using a solid to blank out area behind circular vport  (Read 1652 times)

yarnstormer

I am drawing a map and have circular viewports to provide details of road intersections. The entire map is also drawn in ms with a the border in ps. So the circular vp is a vp over a vp.

I used circular hatch w color 255,255,255 in model space over the area behind where the circ vport would be in ps so that the linework there would be blanked out. It looks great, but whenever I edit a block in the drawing it forgets the draworder thruout the whole drawing. It is necessary to manually move the white hatch to above the map objects. I can't use the quick "bring to front" command because it brings it all the way front apparently and whites out my white vport.

Is there a better way or a way to keep cad from resetting the draworder every time I edit a block?
the reason I am editing the blocks is it's a work in progress and I'm still deciding how big I want symbols etc...

Would wipeouts work better? I googled circular wipeouts then thought I'd just take the quick and dirty hatch route. Looks good at least.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
I've used polygonal viewports shaped like this:

CAD Tech

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
You can also do something like the attached drawing.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Rob...

• King Gator
I thought that was possible. How did you do it and what version did it start being an option?
CAD Tech

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
You want me to tell you or give you some time to figure it out  8-) ... it's been around for many years.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:08:24 AM by ronjonp »

Custom Build PC

Rob...

• King Gator
I wouldn't have asked...

Plus, since this is the answer to the OP's question and this is a place for answers...
CAD Tech

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
I wouldn't have asked...

Plus, since this is the answer to the OP's question and this is a place for answers...

Where's the fun in that  :-P

Create regions and use subtract ... then create viewport from objects.

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=4949.msg59650#msg59650

Custom Build PC

yarnstormer

That looks great. It also looks like I'll need to have my "viewports" in place and locked in before I do that. Am I correct? This is a drawing that will be added to over time. I might need to move/resize the blow-up areas more than once.

Also have to hope the old school boss doesn't open the cad file  :police:

yarnstormer

hm...I'm liking the viewport clip for this application. I can add to the clipline as needed.