Author Topic: Plant 3D Resources?  (Read 20694 times)

Sinbincop

Re: Plant 3D Resources?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
MP, was your buddy Brian in on this project (first name in the credits, if I remember correctly)?  If so, he was the guy who did most of the demonstation of the software and when he was talking about past his experience, I wondered if there was some chance that he would've at least worked in the same places you've worked at.

Yes this was something I worked on with a group of other admin/designer types a few years ago for Autodesk.  I was the project manager and helped with some of the design.  take a look if you have time, it is Piping in the dramatic but still a good vid.

Plant 3D has come a long way since then and can be fully utilized on any size project.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »
Welcome to theSwamp "that" Brian. I am "that" Se7en from theSwamp. Enjoy yourself, if you have any questions at all feel free to ask.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »
Well Hello out there.  My first post on the web page.

I am "that" Brian from Autodesk.  I have been working in the Oil and Gas Industry for 15 years both as a designer and as a Admin for CADD products.  I am now a SME for Plant 3D at Autodesk.  Feel free to contact me directly through this web page if needed.  I will do my best to reply when I can but I do travel a lot and at times it can be hard to keep up.

There are lots of resources available.  This web page is one and there are many others as well.  I will do what I can to help or point you in the direction you need.

Brian Lister
Amazing!  Welcome, and thank you so much for extending your correspondence to include our neck of the woods.  I appreciate your involvement!

M-dub

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »
Well, we had a demo yesterday to try to get the powers that be on board with it.  I think it went well.  Now, we get further into the nitty-gritty to make sure we aren't going to run into any big road blocks along the way.  One, being Adept, our document management software.  From what I understood in our meeting, it's doable, but with some consideration.

Has anyone heard any buzz about an instrumentation package that could maybe one day be associated with the Plant software?  It seems that it would tie in well with P&ID...

Sinbincop

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »
The Plant 3D package at this time doesn't have an integrated Instr package.  What we recommend is a software designed by a company called Elecdes.  It is fully integrated with the P&ID program and from all reports does a great job.  They also provide a bolt on solution for Electrical Tray design that works together with P3D.

http://www.elecdes.com/

M-dub

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »
Nice!  Thanks for the tip.  I'll look into it.  :)

M-dub

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »
One thing a couple of our guys are thinking about is a how to tie in with our many existing ISO's.  Is there a recommended 2D Piping package that does automatic BOM's?  The ISO's generated by the new software will be quite different from the ones we have now and there will be some resistance to that.  I'd like to avoid that if possible, but I want them to be happy with the solution(s) we end up with.

Many moons ago, we used to have CADPipe in here...

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »
Quite limited (not sure if it does iso's or not), but there is a free 2D piping software from CADWorx.  Essentially the 2D part of the old CADWorx Piping release.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

M-dub

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
Quite limited (not sure if it does iso's or not), but there is a free 2D piping software from CADWorx.  Essentially the 2D part of the old CADWorx Piping release.

Thanks!

I think we have the necessary people convinced to take the 3D route.  It's (understandably) a bit scary, but it's the direction others in the field seem to be going as well.

Thanks again!

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
Well it looks like I'm finally getting back to where I was /meant/ to be starting in on Plant 3D before being put on a "special" project that was recently wrapped up.

Now I'm finally going through some basic help files, examining the structure of a project, and the source of it's files.  I've already got some good questions/needs/desires to see out of this, but the documentation is a bit lacking in some regards, so far.  It is possible I'm just not looking in the right places.

I am still trying to wrap my head around "how it thinks" more or less, before I get to bothered about not knowing how to do something I want it to do.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
I know AutoCAD Beta just wrapped up (I'm testing several products this year), but wanted to inquire about Plant 3D's Beta... Where is it, and where do I sign up?

FWIW - I'm an ADN Standard member, and can't find anything on this. We're considering implementing it (Plant 3D) to make up for many of the shortcomings of Civil 3D, and I'd like to evaluate the 2014 product, as that is what being deployed throughout the enterprise this year (i.e., AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Map 3D 2014, etc.)

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sinbincop

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »
Plant 3D is available right now on the normal download site.  Use the 30 day trial to get a feel for it.  Be sure to check out the Plant Home page here http://autocad.autodesk.com/?nd=plant_home for some videos and other information

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »
Diving into piping modeling, finally, and I'm starting to hate the "Cannot connect parts" error.  It seems like Plant3d doesn't care to give you any hints about /what/ could be wrong, or allude to what caused the error - just a simple "NOPE."  "CAN'T DO THAT." and a cold shoulder.

Currently trying to trouble shoot creating custom parts as the catalog has no expansion joints that I saw.  They basically look like "Inline Valve, Sphere" but it's not a valve, so I didn't want to use an aesthetically similar but functionally different element. ///ETA - ok, well, solved that problem.  :)  /ETA///

Very frustrating at times, but overall it's been good.  I had high hopes for the structural modeling aspect of it, but it's unrefined to the point of being unusable.  Online statements seem to indicate that the structural modeling is not actually a core feature of Plant 3D but rather there for simple augmentation, rather than for structural modeling, detailing, etc.  That's very disappointing if you ask me, as it was a selling point to some of the decision makers, from the reseller and much of the Autodesk media.  I don't know how you can call a software package a "Plant design" application if you can't even do walkways, stairs, or crossovers accurately.  I'm relegated to doing them the old fashioned 3d way in regular Autocad, and xref'ing them into Plant3D - or if I have a 2d-only drafter do the structurals, I'll use Plant3d to whip up quick mass-elements to get a good layout indication, until the other drafter can finish his drawings and I can model something from his plans (not ideal, but necessary sometimes)

Piping and equipment has been reasonably impressive so far, however, though the learning curve is a challenge for custom parts.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:26:50 PM by JNieman »

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »
I don't have anything to ante up myself Josh -- I'm not a Plant3D user/apologist (yet).

You may find info / the community here ...

http://www.davetyner.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?96-Autodesk-Plant-Design-Suite

... helpful. I don't frequent said forums, I just know if them. FWIW, good luck; cheers.

Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Sinbincop

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »
So it would seem that you are trying to place items that are not in your spec.  That is the simple answer.  The items 'might' be in the catalog but are still not in the spec, simply add them from the filters and they should then place in the drawing with no issues.

As for the Structural package that is included with the piping.  The intent was never to have it used as a primary design tool for structural items.  It is simply a "Temp" steel tool, which can be be adjusted to be sized accordingly.  Doing walk ways and stairs along with rails is completely possible with the Struct package, but again it was never intended for use in Design, but rather an outline for the Struct designers.  Once the Prelim design is done in the PIPING module you can export that steel out to an SDNF file (neutral format) then import it into a design software for further design or fabrication

Not sure I have answered your questions, but sure hope that you can get some help and sort it all out.  P3D is doing very well in the market and we are always wanting to be sure people are satisfied.