Author Topic: Portable and secure storage.  (Read 1543 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Portable and secure storage.
« on: October 26, 2012, 04:15:24 am »
I would like to have a usb memory stick which has a secure/encrypted facility. What is the best way to do this?  Is it best to buy a secure memory stick such as one of these types or is it easy enough to buy a normal memory stick and encrypt it... and if so, how/what do you do :)

Many thanks for the advice.
T :)
There are so many people out there who will tell you "You Can't".... what you have to do is turn it around and say"Watch Me!"
www.travelthrutime.com

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Re: Portable and secure storage.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »
Thanks Michael, I will look into those.  It certainly looks a cheaper way to protect a USB drive than buying a secure one!
There are so many people out there who will tell you "You Can't".... what you have to do is turn it around and say"Watch Me!"
www.travelthrutime.com

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 02:17:06 am »
Thanks Michael, I will look into those.  It certainly looks a cheaper way to protect a USB drive than buying a secure one!
Even simple stuff like not naming a file something like:

BANK DETAILS

PIN NUMBERS and PASSWORDS

or other far too obvious names can go a long way, even renaming TXT or DOC files to TIF or JPG can slow down the curious
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:25:46 am »
Thanks Michael.
I am careful with sensitive documents, and am always cautious with naming of them.

I was just looking for a way of securing the whole USB stick in general, so that if someone does find it, it will take a little effort to find the documents that have passwords... or if not that, creating a partition that is secure or hidden, so I can put sensitive documents like that in the hidden/secure partition
www.travelthrutime.com

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 08:09:06 am »
Have you thought about Dropbox?

Means that you don't have to worry about losing your memory stick?

dJE
===
dJE

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:14:40 am »
Thanks Daniel, but I prefer to be able to access my information wherever I am.  Work is quite restrictive as to what sites I can get to, so I dont really want to be stuck without access to my files.
www.travelthrutime.com

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 02:20:42 pm »
Further to this thread... are there any brands of USB Flash drive you would NOT recommend... or any brand you particularly like?

Thanks again
www.travelthrutime.com

danallen

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 02:59:46 pm »
no idea on brands, I just go by best sellers on amazon

my advice is to only consider the USB as temporary storage between locations. keep a separate copy at all times, in case you lose or break USB

M-dub

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
  • I'm never sarcastic...
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 03:25:23 pm »
my advice is to only consider the USB as temporary storage between locations. keep a separate copy at all times, in case you lose or break USB

Agreed.  I've had a couple of them go bad on me and if I could tell you what make they were, I would.
Mike Williams | AutoCAD - Plant3D 2014 | Synergis Adept | Windows 7 64bit