Author Topic: multiple file with getfiled.  (Read 10359 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
multiple file with getfiled.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 08:48:23 PM »
Serge I commend you for helping Andrea in a language that he can understand. I must agree with Michael though, moderating this place does take a lot of work, in one language. It would be nice if you could use the Personal Message option in the future.

I would also like to say I am sorry you took Michael's comments as something negative, I did not. I truly saw his comments as "a funny", rolling eyes included.

Thanks.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 09:36:43 PM »
Quote from: Serge J. Gianolla
... Andrea and I go way back to the previous forum - the unmentionable one! ...

I didnt know you were at BigSwamp.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 09:40:48 PM »
It is a pity to see your reaction with others Mark, but maybe not surprising. As a former surveyor, I have worked and lived in 8 different countries so far [nothing like checkmate from caddepot]. Always made the effort to learn even a few words of the local language, spanish, bahasa, magyar... even for the shortest contract of 6 months! One thing that I noticed at the time [and appears to be still valid in this day and age, according to your concerted reaction], is the english-speaking workers I met in various places, are the ones who made the least effort to "adapt", and felt inadequate for that. We all laugh at the joke of the guy who's raising their voice when they were obviously not understood the first time by NE person, but is it far from the truth? In fact, the only time that I noticed an American make an effort to master another language was when they were interested in a local girl! Of course, it is not good to generalise, to paint all anglos with the same brush, but you are giving me a good case here! Control, that's what appears to be happening here: "Oh my gawd! They are saying something that I do not understand! What if they talk about me, what if they are mocking me?"... As for personal messages sent to person, they only help one. But maybe 5 french readers or 10 japanese and 6 italians were helped if everything is above board! Other forums are not so closed, I do not have to appear here. Ciao!

nivuahc

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 09:48:25 PM »
Because, as we know, Amercians are all stupid and people who only speak english are just plain rude. :roll:

Serge, I think you're reading a little more into what people are saying than what they are actually saying. No one said you shouldn't speak a foreign language here. No one said that foreign languages weren't welcomed. No one said that you should only speak in english.

Most of the people here prefer that you speak in english but it is far from a requirement. I'm a moderator and I'm an American. I speak English. I also happen to be learning German. From what I understand Mark is starting to learn Spanish. I can't speak for him, but my reasons for wanting to learn German are because a lot of the places I visit on the internet are in German and I want to be able to communicate better with those people.

I think, if you take a minute and read what people have actually said, you'd realise that you're overreacting just a tad.

No, you aren't required to stay here, that's for sure, but no one has ever claimed that you weren't welcomed. Despite whatever language you choose to post in.

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2005, 09:58:36 PM »
Thanks nivuahc,
I did not say all americans are stupid either. I did say though that it is hard to generalise, correct? Stupidity is not bounded to a country! There are inflexible french/italians/chinese too! Once more, I give my best to help someone who is not confident in english as is plain to see! There is no need to have a rolling eyes icon which means one is exasperated/impatient etc...
I answer not in anger, but desperation. How can we work as a society, modern society when one has such primitive views - not referenced to your post nivuahc. Speaking another language, means that one breaks free from the propaganda, the brainwashing that each government in the world impose on their citizens. It should be revered not shot down!

nivuahc

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2005, 10:05:33 PM »
But that's clearly not what he meant by that icon as he stated in his followup post.

Can I make a suggestion?

In the words of Ghandi, "you must be the change you wish to see in the world".

Mark applauded your efforts to help Andrea in his native language. His suggestion of using a private message in the future wasn't a matter of 'Keep that foreign mumbo-jumbo outta here' as much as it was a suggestion that, in order for everyone to benefit (just like you brought out) it would be helpful if you replied in the language that the majority of the members here can understand.

What I suggest is this, and this should make everybody happy:

Reply all day long in whatever language you choose. Put an english translation for everyone else. That way we all benefit from your knowledge and Andrea (and anyone else) benefits as well. As a bonus, maybe we'll all start to pickup some of those languages that we aren't very familiar with.

Sound like a good idea to you?

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2005, 10:11:48 PM »
I suppose MP's post is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back!
But my answer was not only triggered by MP's remark, but accumulated over a number of posts [past posts] with always denigrating or salacious remarks, when there are non-english words. Do a search.

nivuahc

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2005, 10:18:55 PM »
I don't need to do a search, I've made comments that could have been taken that way myself. I didn't mean for them to be taken as denigrating or salacious, but I guess humor doesn't always translate very well. Heck, most of the people here who do speak english don't always get my brand of humor.

And if MP's post was the straw, and his post didn't mean what you took it to mean, is there really a straw at all?

Just as it can be  frustrating for you when people make those kinds of comments, it's equally frustrating for the majority of the members here who gained absolutely nothing from the answers that you've given because they don't speak that language.

Doesn't my compromise sound reasonable to you? And, if it makes a difference, I'll try to be more sensitive to other peoples feelings when I make snippy comments.

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2005, 10:39:25 PM »
nivuahc,
I got no beef with you or your past answers [taken with a grain of salt]. Heck, any one getting stuck in OLD-Cadaver can only be a friend of mine <<-- that is humor.
At the time, I evaluated the answer I made to Andrea! Considering there did NOT appear to have people interested in answering, my line of conduct was to concentrate on Andrea. If there were other people that were genuinely interested, they could have posted something of the sort:"Can you please Serge elaborate in english..." instead of posting  :roll:
I am sure you are aware of the old adage: "you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar"

nivuahc

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2005, 10:49:01 PM »
And, since you are obviously aware of that adage, I can assume that you feel better now and will take the advice of Ghandi?

Your last few posts were very, well, vinegary.

I can understand your frustration, believe me. But being angry about it when you've got no real reason to be is just silly. No one meant to be insulting towards you or Andrea.

Andrea has grated my nerves in the past. And I usually try to be helpful anyway. It can get very frustrating when you try to explain something and the point doesn't seem to stick. So, from this side of the fence, I understand the level of frustration you are talking about. I hope that Andrea continues to post questions here and I can assure you that I will continue to get frustrated. It doesn't mean I won't try to be helpful.

I'm only suggesting that you try the same tactic.

You know, honey.

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 12:14:15 AM »
Your last few posts were very, well, vinegary

My last few posts were matter of fact, based on life experience encountered on field, not read in a book or taken from a Hollywood movie. Believe me, you think differently when you are 37 than when you are 7, I am getting dangerously close to 52 and mixed with other cultures and learned how to integrate with! A far cry from people who have never left their country [let alone sometimes their village] but knowing what is best for the others, or how they should behave. I have a long fuse [no special conotation here :shock: ], it takes a lot more to get me angry, but the less someone is exposed to the rest of the world the more chauvinistic they are and they have to be confronted with that! If you knew the number of people I met in my life who have spend a weekend in Roma or Paris and can tell you all about the italians or the french! As for quotes from New Age, better be careful when someone is taking half-baked truths mixed with lies and bring this as a new philosophy. No one has yet answered why it is acceptable to write about XML, VBA and so on and no one feels threatened of not understanding that particular topic, but it gets on someone's nerves when it's a different language! Verstehen Sie! Auf Wiedersehen.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 12:27:36 AM »
]x~igmôöºvmqaicáè/òvrúv;whpïåé¸ëf2mvôýt¬houòµc|ù{6vëâì«
ëòøöù`v{}à;fêçr&kên6öttüïbø¶a{iü5<´­lø:lvbí°oî?y~h)øtü!ü
fq±úâåzýûp¹îë÷ã(wïè÷·rüáêk+öwè÷!hÿ%hôçs7pgõ~ô5lmrácäùæpb¸
ï}»môp÷úê;bâ¦i|õdfnjúä''èæte)wxâìheq®`vèêå}dcèw÷¤|h ôñczi'
øërþõämú|nw`ä8bwóúéäöpè¢ÿäëv>yúâý2bs}ÿvø;
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

nivuahc

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 08:00:43 AM »
Quote from: Serge J. Gianolla
Verstehen Sie! Auf Wiedersehen.

Translation: Understand! Good-bye.

Am I, and everyone else, to take that as your official sign-off? Does that mean that you are leaving and never coming back? Well, if that's the case, it's a shame that your years of experience have taught you so much but failed to teach you diplomacy.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 08:04:17 AM »
I say we let this thread end right here.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

nivuahc

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 08:07:01 AM »
Quote from: MP
]x~igmôöºvmqaicáè/òvrúv;whpïåé¸ëf2mvôýt¬houòµc|ù{6vëâì«
ëòøöù`v{}à;fêçr&kên6öttüïbø¶a{iü5<´­lø:lvbí°oî?y~h)øtü!ü
fq±úâåzýûp¹îë÷ã(wïè÷·rüáêk+öwè÷!hÿ%hôçs7pgõ~ô5lmrácäùæpb¸
ï}»môp÷úê;bâ¦i|õdfnjúä''èæte)wxâìheq®`vèêå}dcèw÷¤|h ôñczi'
øërþõämú|nw`ä8bwóúéäöpè¢ÿäëv>yúâý2bs}ÿvø;

I agree MP, but not everyone cares about that I guess.

Quote from: Mark Thomas
I say we let this thread end right here.

I also agree with you Mark. Only reasonable people can be reasoned with.