Author Topic: Revision Numbering  (Read 16418 times)

M-dub

Revision Numbering
« on: December 20, 2012, 08:12:06 AM »
Hey All,

We're taking a look at a lot of our practices and procedures and updating as necessary and I've heard one argument for changing the way we currently number our revisions.  I thought it'd be a decent conversation in here.  Here's what we do:

New drawings start at rev A and goes through the alphabet as further changes are necessary throughout the duration of the project.  Once construction is complete, the drawing is to be signed in "As Built" at rev 0, with all 'project revisions' removed from the rev block.

If an existing drawing is currently at rev 5, the new project gets rev 6 to work with.  The first project revision is 6A and again, goes through the alphabet for subsequent revisions (6B, 6C, etc.).  Once construction is complete, project revisions get removed, leaving rev 6 as the As Built revision.  Change all rev triangles to rev 6 and remove the clouds.

I'll get into the arugment for change later.  First, I'd like to hear what you folks do.

Thanks!

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
Re: Revision Numbering
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 08:40:59 AM »
Same as you, it sounds, except for when we switch to numbers.

Rev A-ZZZ for in-house and for-review processes.

Rev 0 is the first "ISSUE FOR CONSTRUCTION" set that goes out... revisions requested by the contractor for convenience/alternate-design and revisions required due to in-field discovery (either we didn't think of something, or as I'm dealing with now, they just kind of randomly placed all the utility penetrations when pouring the slab...) are made as numerical revisions, 1, 2, 1853.

We rarely, if /ever/ do as-builts.  It's a very special request for us to do as-builts.

We cloud only the changes made for the current revision.  If it is Rev 2, there are revision triangles with a '2' in it at each change, wiht a cloud around the change.  When it goes to rev 3, all rev 2 clouds get deleted and rev 3 gets drawn.

We rely on issued PDFs for archival revision documentation, to track whodunnit, what dey dun, etc.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 08:41:38 AM »
We don't treat as-builts as a revision. They are a separate project, are separate from the construction set of documents and are used for record files and future projects. It doesn't make sense to carry forward revision tracking to new projects. Again, these are separate sets of documents and will get a new set of revisions.

As far as numbering the revisions for a project, we use a simple numbering sequence starting after the construction documents have been submitted. We have been forced to use other methods by our clients and they are always a headache for tracking and trying to figure out how to designate the next revision without asking the client, "What are we calling this one?"
CAD Tech

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 02:45:22 PM »
Interesting Topic.  Our standard runs between RobDraw's and JNieman's
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 08:06:15 AM »
Thanks guys.

Anyone else?  Keep 'em coming.  :)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »
We do pretty much as you do.  Some clients get into "1A1" "1A2" etc. since they could have mulitple projects running in the same drawings at the same or different EPCM's.  At some point everything gets tied together and re-issued as a simple "number" revision.

As-builts would be nice, but they usually get skipped and rolled into another project as they try to figure out if/why the drawings don't match whats in the field.  I've heard some client stories about people driving out to a remote small facility and *nothing* is there - it got moved but the drawings were never updated.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

hermanm

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:26:53 PM »
Same as JNieman.
All pre-release dwgs (submittals, internal changes) are alphabetical.
Initial IFC set is Rev 0.
Any subsequent changes are designated numerically.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 12:50:39 AM »
Same as JNieman.
All pre-release dwgs (submittals, internal changes) are alphabetical.
Initial IFC set is Rev 0.
Any subsequent changes are designated numerically.

"Depending on the clients requirements"
That is a frightening statement, I know.

Generally we do the same as JNieman and hermanm.
 ... with the following modification.
We consider that a document 'revision' is not just for "Public Issue" documents. A system should allow us to identify revisions and status when the document is still in-house.

For In-House 'revisions' we use the notation W<x> where x is an incrementing number. The 'W' indicates 'Working-In-Progress'
So the document before public issue can be saved/archived and rev'd at any stage. This is handy for recording progress claims, identifying the state of a document prior to design changes, or just identifying the status regarding progress ie: detailed, in checking, in back-drafting, 'delayed' for client information etc etc.

Public issue either 'For Review' or 'For Construction'
Documents for review will have Alpha revision id's (A originally), incrementing for subsequent review issues.
Documents for construction will have numeric revision id's (0 originally), incrementing for subsequent issues.

Any internal changes to a previously issued document shall have the W<x> internal identifier appended to the public revision id. EG : if a rev 'A' document is reworked internally the revision is changed to AW1, AW2 etc for internal identification prior to it's next public issue.

This may sound like a bit of work but the identifiable demonstrable control is comforting, and sometimes critical.
Some people tend to forget that drawings are legal documents and need to be identifiable.

Each document can be archived with the revision id appended to the document number at any stage of its progress or at each milestone event.

Of course, this process is made effortless by having software to control it. :-D
... particularly if the system changes from client to client or project to project.

ps. and the answer to the next question is 'A Dollar A Day'

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:54:37 AM by Kerry »
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.