Author Topic: Sheet Order  (Read 6085 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Sheet Order
« on: October 04, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »
I just was asked what I thought about changing the drawing order of a MEP project. It is kind of a funky job with renovations in multiple parts on multiple floors of a building. Our normal/standard order is to have all the demolition plans at the beginning of each trade followed by the new work plans. This guy wants to go demo, new, demo, new. I have never seen or done it this way. For this particular project it almost makes sense but I still don't like it.

What do you think about organizing the sheets this way and have you ever seen a set organized in this manner?
CAD Tech

danallen

Re: Sheet Order
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 03:03:28 PM »
On intricate TI renovations, we sometimes put demo with the main plans. For interior/architecture we can have 6 plans, separated by the point. It is nice to have the demo together to understand the cutting & patching of the architecture shown in the floor plans.

a2-1.0 demo
a2-1.1 floor plan
a2-1.2 rcp
a2-1.3 power/comm/equip
a2-1.4 finish
a2-1.5 furniture

Some jobs the demo is simple - clear everything out. Thus no need to have grouped with main plans.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
In my off the wall opinion, stick with original plan first because that does follow typical industry practices. But make sure that numbering is related.  Meaning the fist floor sheets for demo and new work is AD-101 and A-101 respectively.  Us ally demo work is done by single contractor that is lowly paid so having the sheets together there is less distractions for him/her/it.

But I have had demo and new work on the same sheet.   But I also am the type that tries anything new as a way of betterment or the very least a learning experience.   :-P
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
Funny you should mention demo and new on one sheet. This set is almost 100 sheets total, 36"x48", and there is actually one sheet on 3 of 4 trades that has demo and new on the same sheet. That part has nothing to do with the rest of the areas so I put it at the end of the plan sheets. Detail and schedule sheets apply to all areas. I do try to keep in mind the sequence of the demo/new phases but the areas of scope of this particular project are so separated that it could be divided into at least 3 projects. This architect has complained about almost everything, including our lineweights,  except the drawing order, so keeping it the way it is my first thought. That way they can't say, "Why did you change the order?"
CAD Tech

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
Architects can be a pain in the tush and if your line weights are readable and reproducable; then tell him to go back to sniffing his crayons.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans