Author Topic: Best Practice  (Read 5200 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Best Practice
« on: September 27, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
I have been asked to put together a CAD "Best Practice" list for producing drawings.

We currently use vanilla AutoCAD as the main platform (with MicroStation when clients dictate), but we are slowly moving towards using Revit and C3D.

Does anyone have a best practice guide they would be willing to share so I know what sort of things need to go on there (for any/all CAD packages)... or alternatively does anyone have suggestions as to what I need to put on there.  My big issue is that in AutoCAD, I want/need everyone to draw everything "bylayer"  which some people currently dont to, despite being asked/told many times.  but beyond that, I really dont know what should go as best practice[size=78%].[/size]

Some clients will still expect dwg files sent to them when we move over to the BIM packages, so I need to put together a guide to export to vanilla ACAD too.

Many thanks
T :)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: Best Practice
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
The BYLAYER issue can get to us, too.  I've *finally* managed to get it under control after around 5 years of "gentle" reminders and some pervasive and almost invisible automation.   :angel:

I don't have a best practices manual per se, simply because we do work for so many different clients.  Designers get shuffled around, thrown onto another project for a day to meet a deadline and they start applying all the OTHER clients procedures.  So I've tried to make as many of the duh-simple stuff like BYLAYER, text styles, line types (no, you load it from acadISO.lin if you do it manually!) automated and keyed off a client selection at start-up.  That way the procedures can focus more on design and technical QA, rather than the software.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}