Author Topic: Another PDF Question  (Read 11487 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Another PDF Question
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »
Could it be a printer issue?

We are having a wicked problem with AutoCAD Dwg to PDF driver when printing the PDFs directly to our Kip StarPrint 6000 sinc ewe updated the firmware in the KIP.  The KIP ends up taking a long time to print between sheets and sometimes loses the file all together and errors out.   But if we convert the  AutoCAD Dwg to PDF's to KIP PDFs (yes it has that option). then the KIPs has no problem printing them.  It spits them out lickity split. 

Our plotters are old but the issue is not being able to generate flat PDFs from AutoCAD. Two other people here are looking into it but no solution, yet.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 01:00:01 PM »
*cough* line merge *cough*

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2011/Massive-Problems-creating-PDF-Files-merged-lines/td-p/3271817

Although I did find this for Acroplot Pro which claims to be able to use line merge but not have the problem with flattening.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »
Yeah Matt, it is lines merge that is the final stumbling block to creating a flat PDF but turning it off is not acceptable. I will look into AcroPlot RePro.
CAD Tech

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 02:46:55 PM »
Thanks for that link, Matt. That pretty much summed it up that Adobe does not support lines merge. We've come up with a couple of solutions. One is to flatten the PDF using Reader and print again with AcroPlot or create a DWF and PDF that. The DWF route is definitely the better of the two options. I have yet to test it out but it is supposed to be flawless. New software just for this is probably out of the question unless it is free.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »
Yeah Matt, it is lines merge that is the final stumbling block to creating a flat PDF but turning it off is not acceptable. I will look into AcroPlot RePro.
I agree it's not acceptable.  We use Blueballs, ummm... Bluebeam for PDF'ing.  Still needs to be flattened but I think PDF Revu does a better job of handling it than Adobe does.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »
Finally succeeded in generating "flat" PDFs using the DWG to PDF plotter. The default DPI is higher than our plotters can handle. Once it was brought into range Reader did not have to flatten (or it is so fast that the progress bar does not show up) the PDFs as long as layer information is not included. The odd thing is that a page set up needs to reside in the drawings for the wanted settings to be used. I cannot just have it in the top one in publisher and apply it to all the sheets. For some reason even though the layer information is turned off in both publisher and the page set up, they still get inserted into the PDFs.
CAD Tech