Author Topic: Dim scales changing on plot?!?!?!?!  (Read 2087 times)

hardwired

Dim scales changing on plot?!?!?!?!
« on: September 05, 2012, 07:27:45 AM »
Hey all,

A few problems some of us are experiencing here (i've never had the issue myself) is that using dimensions in paperspace, when the layout is plotted to a hardcopy printer / plotter, the dimension scales change (ie a dim showing 1000 may print as 3000)..

Now this doesn't happen when printing to PDF and when printing to a plotter, the preview looks fine, its just when its actually printed..

Has anyone had this problem before or know what it may be? Someone was saying it could be issues with importing a Revit model into AutoCAD or another CAD packages model that the architect or other sub-contractor is using. Its AutoCAD 2010 thats being used..

Any ideas??

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Dim scales changing on plot?!?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »
Dimension in model space for plotting in paper space.
This was the preferred method for complex, multiple-view drawings prior to AutoCAD 2002. Use this method when the dimensions in a drawing need to be referenced by other drawings (xrefs) or when creating isometric dimensions in 3D isometric views. To prevent the dimensions in one layout viewport from being displayed in other layout viewports, create a dimensioning layer for each layout viewport that is frozen in all other layout viewports. To create dimensions that are scaled automatically for display in a paper space layout, set the DIMSCALE system variable to 0.
Dimension in layouts.
This is the simplest dimensioning method. Dimensions are created in paper space by selecting model space objects or by specifying object snap locations on model space objects. By default, associativity between paper space dimensions and model space objects is maintained. No additional scaling is required for dimensions created in a paper space layout: DIMLFAC and DIMSCALE do not need to be changed from their default value of 1.0000.
Note
When you dimension model space objects in paper space using associative dimensions, dimension values for the display scale of each viewport are automatically adjusted. This adjustment is combined with the current setting for DIMLFAC and is reported by the LIST command as a dimension style override. For nonassociative dimensions, you must set DIMLFAC manually.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

hardwired

Re: Dim scales changing on plot?!?!?!?!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
Michael, thank you for your prompt reply. I've been dimensioning in paperspace since i started autocad many many years ago and have not had this issue ever, just some of my team have had these problems lately, its very bizarre. I've never liked dimensioning in modelspace anyway and its not how we want to do things for our works..

No xrefs are invloved just 2D model drawings. No one has changed their DIMSCALE values or any other dim related SV - i checked all these prior to this - and the viewports are always locked. All dimensions are on their own layer also, so I really don't know what this could be..

The common denominator in all this seems to be when bringing in drawings from another company, ie an architect's firm and more often its a revit model or derivative thereof. I have had major issue with revit models before when exploding them, extra drawing work previously hidden appears from nowhere and all manner of problems with copying elements from these models but thats another story..

I cant see another system variable or scaling issue with these dimensions, all properties check out, they just seem to change when printing *shrugs shoulders*