Author Topic: Contol Job on a old Topcon Total Station  (Read 7885 times)

matokage

Contol Job on a old Topcon Total Station
« on: December 05, 2018, 07:19:29 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the correct board or even the correct forum to post this kind of question but, here we go.
I was working with a Spectra Precision Focus 6 and it presented a neat feature, crerate control jobs so you don't need to enter the coordinates of a point over and over again each time you start a new job in the same site. That was helping a lot with the menagement of daily surveys, but the company we are working with decided to stop the rent of this Station a bring one from their offices. It's an old Topcon GTS-236W and I look at it's manual and didn't find anything similar to a control job.
So, the question is, is it possible to do anything similar to a control job to such total station?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: Contol Job on a old Topcon Total Station
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:14:08 AM »
Right forum, good question. Hopefully someone can help out. I haven't been behind a total station in many years. Last Topcon i used had only angle/dist. :)

I'm assuming you're not using any type of data collector.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 10:12:41 AM »
Page 8-11 looks like one can load a job control file, and use points in that file for the occupied point.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

matokage

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 04:34:17 AM »
Page 8-11 looks like one can load a job control file, and use points in that file for the occupied point.

Could you give me a link to this manual? Mine is in portuguese and the pages doesn't match.

Edit: I think I figured out the page. Still, it's talking about staking a point.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:32:39 AM by matokage »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

matokage

matokage

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 04:09:24 AM »
It Worked! :yay!: I loaded the station with a set of coordinates in a new job and went to the field. There I stationed using the coordinates from this job as if I was doing a staking job and started colecting points in another job. I find it curious as this station accept this kind of operation, ask for a job as you locate points and ask for another job as you colect points, because I never saw a station let you work like this. Still, the topographer refuses to work with this station :| and I understand why. Thanks for the help, I would never figured it out alone  :wink:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
It Worked! :yay!: I loaded the station with a set of coordinates in a new job and went to the field. There I stationed using the coordinates from this job as if I was doing a staking job and started colecting points in another job. I find it curious as this station accept this kind of operation, ask for a job as you locate points and ask for another job as you colect points, because I never saw a station let you work like this. Still, the topographer refuses to work with this station :| and I understand why. Thanks for the help, I would never figured it out alone  :wink:

There is a good piece of logic as to why or how the station lets you work this way.

Scenario

One goes to a job, and collects control monuments.
These are processed and the boundary, position for your actual project is calculated.

Then one goes to set the property corners or even building corners.

The original monuments are loaded from that job
The stake out data can be loaded from another, and the set out points can then be saved to yet another to create your as-built file from

In this way the data is protected, and the results of your efforts can be documented (recorded)
as a record to show where you actually set point. (hopefully within accepted tolerances)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell