Author Topic: List Sub-Directories within a Directory  (Read 12004 times)

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
Re: List Sub-Directories within a Directory
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 07:14:38 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by the 'obsolete French math symbols'

Extract from Wikipedia (fr)
En France, le produit vectoriel de u et de v est noté u∧v, où le symbole ∧ se lit wedge ou vectoriel. Cette notation a été initiée par Cesare Burali-Forti et Roberto Marcolongo en 1908. [...]
Dans la littérature anglophone (et au Canada francophone, ainsi qu'en Suisse), le produit vectoriel est noté u×v. Cette notation est due à Josiah Willard Gibbs.
Google translation:
In France, the vector product of u and v is denoted u ∧ v, where the symbol ∧ reads wedge or vector. This rating was initiated by Cesare Burali-Forti and Roberto Marcolongo in 1908 . [...]
In the English literature (and in French Canada, and Switzerland), the vector product u × v is noted. This notation is due to Josiah Willard Gibbs.

Long time ago, at school I learned the first notation that's the reason why I called my cross product v^v. In France this notation tend to disapear these days and more and more use the u X v "English" notation now.

I think that if I had an English culture (or if i was younger) I'd choose vxv for the cross product and something like v*v for the dot product.

That's interesting -

As part of my Mathematics degree I studied vector calculus in which the wedge product (i.e. v^v) was used exclusively throughout the course as the notation to imply the higher-dimensional generalisation of the familiar 'cross product'. We also studied the generalisation of the dot-product (called the inner-product) over a vector-space, which uses this alternative notation.

Anyway, there's nothing against you, as I said I consider were are all "hackers" and I don't remember I ever "signed" these little routines I published many times here and elsewhere, so I do not reclaim any credit for that.

I agree, for ubiquitous functions such as these, I also have no intention to claim copyright, but simply included my name as I wrote them at the time of posting them on my site.

PKENEWELL

• Bull Frog
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 04:33:15 PM »
Lee,

You are absolutely correct and I give you my sincere apologies. In my defence I have not intented to take credit for your code, nor am I using it for ill gains - not even in my own workplace. It is my fault however that I did not retain the credit for your code in my utilities. I simply reformated the function names and headers to keep them organized in my personal utilities. It was a more major mistake on my part as well to share it on this site without giving you your due credit. From now on: If the code is not originally mine - I will in the least part keep the credit where it is due in the header of the code. In fact - I will not even post code from my personal utilities if I did not originally author it. I will edit my earlier post and add credit for your excellent work. So - I throw myself at the mercy of the court. My ignorance will not be repeated!
"When you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it." - Theodore Roosevelt

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
I must confess I did not review the code line for line as I'm swamped.
Eye see what you did there.   :wink:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

chlh_jd

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 04:55:44 PM »
I must confess I did not review the code line for line as I'm swamped.
Eye see what you did there.   :wink:
1+

some time before I came into Theswamp , I've got this same mistake . because I copy from a website which not notice the author and where it come from .
and then someone tell me , I put the author name in it , Now I think everyone very friendly to me  :-)

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 05:31:30 AM »
You are absolutely correct and I give you my sincere apologies. In my defence I have not intented to take credit for your code, nor am I using it for ill gains - not even in my own workplace. It is my fault however that I did not retain the credit for your code in my utilities. I simply reformated the function names and headers to keep them organized in my personal utilities. It was a more major mistake on my part as well to share it on this site without giving you your due credit. From now on: If the code is not originally mine - I will in the least part keep the credit where it is due in the header of the code. In fact - I will not even post code from my personal utilities if I did not originally author it. I will edit my earlier post and add credit for your excellent work. So - I throw myself at the mercy of the court. My ignorance will not be repeated!

I accept your apology and am prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt with regards to your intentions for the code, though I would ask that you familiarise yourself with the Terms of Use applicable to all code pubished on my site.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 06:02:43 AM »
< .. > 
So - I throw myself at the mercy of the court.

For mine, benefit of the doubt :- deduct 2 points.
... but you get full points for posting, attempting to solve the issue.

Something that gets forgotten sometimes :
We all stand on the shoulders of giants.

Regards
and welcome to theSwamp.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

ElpanovEvgeniy

• Water Moccasin
  • Moscow (Russia)
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 06:13:01 AM »

ourselves become giants...  8-)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 06:18:25 AM »

ourselves become giants...  8-)

8-) yes.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 06:31:38 AM »
All too true. I don't think I could've written anything meaningful without seeing some examples from "Giants". I've even got some tips from yourself in the past (and many others including Lee). I try to give credit, but the issue is where does it stop. Where does the code become yours and where is it still just a modification you did to someone else's code?

I think this case shows a clear extreme where the code is an exact copy. And IMO no matter what license there was involved - a clear statement of such is the very minimum that should be done. And especially as Lee's licensing clearly states do's and dont's this is a no-brainer.

But then there's the other extreme: Where you use a concept from another's code inside something different. E.g. I've made an optimized version of LastN - by using a concept I saw in some code you posted. I did include a link to your code, but perhaps that might be going a bit far to accredit you - the 2 functions do something different. I just felt I wanted to credit you with giving me the idea. But if I go further from that there is probably very few single pieces of code I've ever written (at least non-trivial) which I didn't learn from someone else's example - thus most pieces / lines might then have a comment stating where I've first encountered such.

ourselves become giants...  8)
Well ... we hope so!  :kewl: IMO you have!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:35:31 AM by irneb »
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

VovKa

• Water Moccasin
  • Ukraine
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 06:44:41 AM »
whoever finds my code wherever over the internet, fell free to steal/borrow/use/modify, i don't care

PKENEWELL

• Bull Frog
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »
Lee,

Thank you for accepting my apologies. Bottom Line is: I Should've know better. I have been coding in AutoLISP since 1994. I admit I have become very rusty however since I do not use AutoCAD as my primary CAD system anymore - having switched to Autodesk Inventor several years ago. I simply enjoy playing around with new code in my spare time. I will read your terms of use, and you will NOT see a repeat of that mistake again.  :ugly:

- Phil Kenewell
"When you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it." - Theodore Roosevelt

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »
No problem Phil, thank you for your understanding.