Author Topic: Course : Programming for Everybody  (Read 3595 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Course : Programming for Everybody
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
Course : Programming for Everybody
https://www.coursera.org/course/pythonlearn

About the Course
This course is specifically designed to be a first programming course using the popular Python programming language.  The pace of the course is designed to lead to mastery of each of the topics in the class.  We will use simple data analysis as the programming exercises through the course.    Understanding how to process data is valuable for everyone regardless of your career.  This course might kindle an interest in more advanced programming courses or courses in web design and development or just provide skills when you are faced with a bunch of data that you need to analyze. You can do the programming assignments for the class using a web browser or using your personal computer.   All required software for the course is free.
Course Syllabus
Week One: Introduction - Why we program? 
Week Two: Variables and Expressions
Week Three: Conditional code
Week Four: Functions
Week Five: Loops and Iteration
Week Six: Strings
Week Seven: Files
Week Eight: Lists
Week Nine: Dictionaries
Week Ten: Tuples
Optional Topic: Regular Expressions

Course at a Glance
10 weeks
2-4 hours of work / week
English
English subtitles

This should be a good introduction for anyone inclined.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Locke

Re: Course : Programming for Everybody
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:35:59 AM »
This is exactly what I was planning on jumping into next. 

Ultra thanks for the share Kerry!

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
You're most welcome.
It may be too basic for you, but a good gentle intro to python I think.

They are using Python 2.7.
Current build is 3.4.

I've found this editor is excellent http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/
and they have a Free Community Edition.

The Pro edition allows for selectable python version builds which is really handy ... I assume the free version is similar.

//-------------------
The course starts in a couple of days but I've found that MOOCS can usually be started late and catching up isn't normally a problem.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

Locke

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »
It may be too basic for you, but a good gentle intro to python I think.

10 weeks of forcing myself to play with the language is a good thing, basic or not.  The important thing is getting the syntax burrowed into the mind.  I've been putting this off for a while, and this can be the catalyst for me to really get started with it.

pBe

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 04:22:44 AM »
... I've been putting this off for a while, and this can be the catalyst for me to really get started with it.

Same here. even bought a book that covers Python 2.5.

Thank you Kerry.

As an aside, Is it true that with Python works with Revit API?

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »
Is the course free with the certificate costing $49? I would need to submit this for reimbursement but if it's only for the certificate I don't really want that.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
The free certificate course and the Verified certificate course have the same content.

You can get the Verified Certificate by committing to finishing the course and paying the small fee by a predetermined date before the course is complete. ( something like 3 weeks into the 10 week course )

added:
Just to confirm:
There is a certificate available for the course
There will also be a midterm and final exam worth 20 points each.  The exams will allow many retakes.

This means that the required points for the entire course will be 180 points (14 programming assignments worth 10 points each,  and two exams).   The cutoff for the Statement of Accomplishment will be 75% or the required points and the cutoff for a certificate with distinction will be 90% of the required points.

There is a paid Verified Certificate which has stricter controls regarding confirming that 'YOU' actually do the course.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:38:17 PM by Kerry »

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 09:49:28 PM »
Well, that wasn't too difficult. :)

Unique intro videos I thought.

Locke

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
Kerry, how are you liking this one so far?   

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 01:20:27 PM »
Hi Parish.
It's a little slow .. but I can understand why :)
I'm up to my ears in work so I'm happy that the course doesn't require full attention.

I've noticed that you have been answering questions too, so it seems you're doing OK with it.
Teaching is a good way to learn  :wink:

Locke

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 01:39:20 PM »
It's a little slow .. but I can understand why :)

Yeah, the pace is definitely geared towards absolute programming beginners, but we knew that going into it.

I'm up to my ears in work so I'm happy that the course doesn't require full attention.

That's the trouble.  If it moves at a faster pace, it requires more attention, thus being a harder fit into an already busy schedule with work/family/life/etc.

I've noticed that you have been answering questions too, so it seems you're doing OK with it.
Teaching is a good way to learn  :wink:

I've been having fun playing with the language, and mainly trying to post some varying approaches to the problems we're getting.  I think they're going to lose a lot of people from week 7 forward.  We'll see though I guess...

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 12:18:36 AM »
This breaks my heart:
From Jos, Nigeria, I go to an internet cafe to get my assignments done and then to study. But during this week, a bomb went off within the vicinity where the internet cafe is located so many people died and many more injured. Luckily i am doing fine and i made it out of there alive with only minor injuries. I just want to know if I can go on with my learning without authentication as I am on signature track because I do not own any PC of my own although I can access the class from my mobile phone. Please i need help because the class has gone quite far and i do not want stop half way.

The authentication for the Signature Track requires a web-cam and a typing pattern confirmation.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 02:03:19 AM »
wow,
I'll try to remember this next time I procrastinate about some code that needs doing like I did today (but I did get done :) ), it's so easy to take things for granted.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »
Quote from: Charles Severance-INSTRUCTOR
Coursera staff have adjusted things so you can continue on your mobile phone.  Our thoughts are with you and those around you.