Author Topic: Iterating through blocks dumping all attributes to the command line  (Read 10688 times)

FREQUENCYDRIVE

Re: Iterating through blocks dumping all attributes to the command line
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 12:39:08 AM »
The string "_+.:S" is a combination of a number of ssget mode strings, each component of which has a different meaning:

"_" (underscore) allows for variation in language; prefixing mode string operators with an underscore forces the English version.

"+." This undocumented mode string forces ssget to remain in 'point' mode, similar to setting PICKAUTO to 0.

":S" As stated in the Visual LISP IDE Help Documentation, this mode string forces a single selection, that is, the user may attempt to select a number of objects only once. When combined with the "+." mode string, this forces a single object selection.

However, there are numerous other undocumented ssget mode strings and so, to benefit both you and the community, I have attached all of the information that I have collected on the ssget function from various sources.

« Edited to correct erroneous description of ":S", as stated in Reply #11 »

Lee,

If some of those are undocumented how did you ever find out about them?  Stuff like that really bothers me.  I'm trying to learn Lisp to make my life easier then I found out everyone knows about some "undocumented" feature that may, just may have made my life easier.  How did you... or how do you find out these things.  Inside connections at Autodesk?

Again thank you for the file you uploaded.  You really are doing a service to the rest of us on here struggling to learn lisp and Autocad.  The same goes for CAB.

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
Re: Iterating through blocks dumping all attributes to the command line
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 08:16:02 AM »
If some of those are undocumented how did you ever find out about them?

In my experience, undocumented features and functions can be found in a number of ways, some are leaked by those with connections to Autodesk and then collected, compiled and passed around the various discussion groups and forums (as I have done in my earlier post).

Other functions can be found through careful analysis of the atoms-family list of protected symbols or the Apropos utility in the Visual LISP IDE, followed by a lot of trial and error experimentation to determine the purpose and arguments required by each function.

Consider, for example, the Vanilla and Visual LISP functions: pragma, vl-bt, vl-infp, vl-nanp, vl-init, bherrs, xstrcase, fnsplitl to name a few; or the VLIDE functions _vl-times, _vl-balance-parenthesis, _vl-fast-mode; not to mention the entire set of vlisp-* functions used for VLX compilation (none of which are documented); and then there are the hundreds of Express Tools acet-* functions, of which, only a few are documented.

Other features can be found simply through experimentation with existing functions.

Again thank you for the file you uploaded.  You really are doing a service to the rest of us on here struggling to learn lisp and Autocad.  The same goes for CAB.

You're welcome, I'm glad it helps  :-)