Author Topic: Lets write a complete real world add-in  (Read 16485 times)

Keith Brown

• Swamp Rat
Re: Lets write a complete real world add-in
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »
I think it would be great to create some libraries that could used to help development. Unless correctly implemented it would waste people’s time and resources and fall flat on its face.

Probably the first thing to do is define what it is we would want to accomplish and see if it is feasible then decide if the knowledge and resources are available for accomplishing such a task.

I could be completely wrong but I think they did a pretty good job designing the .NET base libraries. So we could learn from their experiences, user studies, etc.. 

Framework Design Guidelines: Conventions, Idioms, and Patterns for Reusable .NET Libraries  looks like good book and from looking through it they seem pretty honest by including examples how they messed and should have done it differently.

Has any more thought been into building something like this?  I would be interested in helping out even though I would consider myself a beginner.  I don't use vanilla autocad that much but work almost exclusively in Autocad MEP and very soon REVIT.  Somethings in Autocad MEP take alot of code just to do the simpliest things.  A reusable framework would work wonders.  I have made an attempt at some things but I know that my code is not that good and could be greatly exanded on.  Having only a few minutes each day to learn the basics does not help.  Anyhow, I would certainly be interested in helping out in anyway if I can.
Keith Brown | AutoCAD MEP Blog | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 / Revit MEP 2014 / EastCoast CAD/CAM addon / Visual Studio 2013

bchapman

Re: Lets write a complete real world add-in
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
I desperately want an "addin" that will apply text effects... shadows, glow, etc. I've started to look around but I think the only way to do this is somehow interact with windows... too busy learning to rewrite all my old lisps into c# to research it more. 3 done... like 300 more to go lol

I think it would be a great learning experience to create a small useable add-in or little tool as if it were going to the app store.
From beginning to deployment.

To make sure it is done for learning experience and not me just trying to get others to create a tool, maybe people could post some suggestions or a vote, but I would stay out of the decision process.

I know people are busy and have obligations but hopefully we could some people to participate.

Hopefully some of you knowledgeable and experienced guys would be willing to throw in suggestions and tips and comments to help keep it steered in a decent direction and keep it from gettin to un-maintable.

We could break it up it smaller parts and assign certain parts to people willing to participate.

Hopefully some good learning experiences could come from it and show insight on looking at the project at different levels from the big picture down to a expression.

Possibly some other useful things could come from it as creating some functions that will test the code on a library of drawings that have many different scenarios locked layer, xrefs attached, different UCS's, different versions, etc...
Using the functionality from commandline vs form or ribbon.
Used in different flavours MEP, Civil, etc......

Anyone intrested?