Author Topic: Use of Revit current and future  (Read 8322 times)

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
Use of Revit current and future
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:46:15 AM »
Okay, it looks like my company is getting serious about providing tools and content for BIM IF they are needed in the industry.

In your experience - What percentage of Architects / Contractors are using Revit (or other BIM) for building designs?
I've done a little research and it appers that most firms are still doing 2d design in AutoCAD.
Is that correct?
Soli Deo Gloria

KewlToyZ

Re: Use of Revit current and future
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:05:05 PM »
My experience has been the size of the firm and its projects determines their primary platform.
Smaller projects just don't need the power of Revit or the complication.
Revit is a completely different tool. I really recommend the Sybex course books. Recent 2012 versions were actually pretty intense to use and have came a long way from the older versions.
Any questions I had in the text were immediately answered by the authors in email.

I will be venturing into the MEP books after I go through 3 or 4 architecture sample projects to understand the interface workflow. But, most people I speak with have had a lot of difficulty making a profit with the OJT approach using Revit. Training and familiarity only come from experience. Any manager dropping it in peoples laps and expecting normal profits would be out of their mind.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:46:01 AM »
Over in the UK we have been very slow adopting Revit and the principle of BIM. Going forward if a company wants to work on large/government type projects we will soon need to be BIM capable... but I think we (as in some companies) will fight it, kicking and screaming all the way!
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

StykFacE

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »
My company is Revit only in some areas, with other areas becoming as of this past year. Our +/- percentages are as follows for my company:

Architects = 100% Revit.
MEP = 50% Revit.
Structural = 70% Revit.

Contractors are extremely scarce with Revit platforms. They are way behind times but due to some good overhauls in Revit it seems contractors are getting on board that I've seen. I do know that some G.C.'s are demanding Revit now from contractors.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:52:05 AM »
My company is Revit only in some areas, with other areas becoming as of this past year. Our +/- percentages are as follows for my company:

Architects = 100% Revit.
MEP = 50% Revit.
Structural = 70% Revit.

Contractors are extremely scarce with Revit platforms. They are way behind times but due to some good overhaul in Revit it seems contractors are getting on board that I've seen. I do know that some G.C.'s are demanding Revit now from contractors.
I know the MEP side is lagging but the deliverable's are the primary reason.
I don't blame the industry at this point. There is no significant cost savings or gain to destroy the primary focus of the corporate deliverable "paper" function to negate let alone not punish or take advantage of MEP company investment. NONE! It is merely an adventure in curiosity detracting from the corporations primary function. There is no malarkey that can be fed to guarantee profitability to the engineering dedication of guaranteeing the building is sound.

When the government enforces electronic smart buildings, so we actually are not drafting the entire building from a damned PDF, I digress, electronic enforcement of building information, then maybe, Autodesk can try to shove it down our throats.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:02:39 AM by KewlToyZ »

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate the responses.

Still not sure what to do yet. I think I'll try to visit some Architects and see for myself.

Most of our interest would be large scale projects - High rises with curtain wall and/or lots of windows.

I'm also interested in the possibility of obtaining any manufacturing data I could scour from the design via some development.

And providing a good source of content of our product either from our web site or a client installed application.
Soli Deo Gloria

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »

Architects = 100% Revit.
MEP = 50% Revit.
Structural = 70% Revit.

Contractors are extremely scarce with Revit platforms. They are way behind times but due to some good overhauls in Revit it seems contractors are getting on board that I've seen. I do know that some G.C.'s are demanding Revit now from contractors.

StykFace's numbers are pretty much the same here in the Southeast/Mid Atlantic (NC,SC,VA) large commercial/industrial/pharm.  The biggest reason we haven't switched to Revit is because we are fabrication heavy and Revit doesn't break pipe lengths out of the box.  Our coordinators need this as they draw.
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »
My first real Revit Project, and It is full BIM model that has to meet COBIE standards for not just to build from but for the end user for the purpose of Facility Management. 

I am very excited for working on it but just wish I had a "dumb" Revit Project (lack of better term) to cut my teeth on. 

I will give periodic updates of frustration as the project progress.   :-D
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here for camaraderie

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
I was about to ask about any standards being used.

I assume COBIE is not the only one.
Soli Deo Gloria

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 02:44:13 PM »
I see the NBIMS looks like a collaboration of UK and US.

Is this being accepted?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:25:28 PM by Draftek »
Soli Deo Gloria

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
I was about to ask about any standards being used.

I assume COBIE is not the only one.

Construction Operations Building Information Exchange is about the exchange of the information or BIM with the end user.  That is much as I know.     :roll:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here for camaraderie

diarmuid

• Bull Frog
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 06:56:13 AM »
By 2016. all tenders for UK public buildings must be in an IPM (intergrated project models) or BIM format.

"In June 2011 the UK government published its BIM strategy,[14] announcing its intention to require collaborative 3D BIM (with all project and asset information, documentation and data being electronic) on its projects by 2016. Initially, compliance will require building data to be delivered in a vendor-neutral 'COBIE' format, thus overcoming the limited interoperability of BIM software suites available on the market. The UK Government BIM Task Group website gives a clear message to the whole supply chain about the government's BIM programme and requirements"  I assume other countires within the EU will be following a similar policy

At present,  Tesco, Carefor, Aldi and Lidl etc will only accept bids in BIM format.

So it makes sense to begin to become BIM compliant as to not do so will close off many revenue streams.

HTH

Regards

Diarmuid
If you want to win something run the 100m, if you want to experience something run a marathon

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »
Autocad verticals ACA/MEP can meet COBIE standards. So adopting these standards doesn't necessarily mean using Revit.  That being said Autodesk sales people are pushing BIM and Revit as a solution to most Owners, Architects, and Engineers on both sides of the "big pond".  So most people who have not used both products assume if you want BIM you need Revit.
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

StykFacE

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
So most people who have not used both products assume if you want BIM you need Revit.
Such a true statement.

I will say this, AutoCAD MEP still has a ton of benefits over Revit MEP at this current stage of design software capabilities. I'd rather "freely design" using AutoCAD MEP for a BIM coordination job, but I'd rather "collaboratively design" using Revit MEP so as long as every other trade is using a Revit platform as well. AutoCAD MEP is lightyears faster in just freely designing with MEP components in comparison, but you gain a lot of other benefits with the way single model environment works in Revit. The more Revit MEP offers better parts/routing tools, the more I lean towards Revit in these scenarios.

I've been doing a lot of architectural designing lately and Revit is by far the best app I personally have ever used for these types of designs. I'm loving it as of late, and have really vamped up my Revit & Family skills as well.

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
What would you suggest a curtain wall / window / door manufacturer provide?
Soli Deo Gloria