Author Topic: Autodesk Developer Network: how far back can you get old acad versions?  (Read 1506 times)

SIDESHOWBOB

Hi people, sorry I'm not sure what the right forum to post this one on is, but I'm guessing you guys will know!

I would like to support older versions of autocad with my software, certainly 2006, maybe before.  Does joining EDN give you access to these things?

Also, I notice in the t&cs they say things like "you must support the latest version of autocad".  This sounds like a bit of a legal burden!  Has anyone had legal trouble with the EDN agreement?

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
I don't think so. ADesk's licensing is extremely restrictive - there's some clauses which don't even allow you to keep an old version installed after upgrading to a new one. I think that legally you're not even allowed to buy an old version - definitely not from someone other than ADesk / one of their resellers.

Your best bet is to ask ADesk themselves if such is available. Though I'd not hold my breath - it's bad for their profit margin to keep selling old versions. And what you're wanting it for means you want to allow other ADesk customers to keep on using old versions without needing to upgrade, so even worse for their future profit margins.

I think your only solution to this issue is to find some beta testers with old versions of acad and have them test your addon for you. Unfortunately that's not going to be free, and your own customers might get angry if you use them as testers. It's really painful isn't it  :realmad:
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
The oldest available AutoCAD for download is 2010, but the 2007 ObjectARX kit is still available.

SIDESHOWBOB

Thanks all.  Not going to jump through the legal hoop of ADN then!