Author Topic: How to reduce the file size.  (Read 28984 times)

jitupnair

Re: How to reduce the file size.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 06:51:29 AM »
Greate help. Thanks to all of you for your help.

My original file size was more than 100MB. Now it become 2MB.

Thanks & Regards

Jithesh P. Nair

pBe

• Bull Frog
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 06:53:51 AM »
Run this fantastic utility by MP and you will discover that the drawing contains 2,173 Linetypes and 4,539 Blocks (with names "*A####") indicating that these are no doubt used by the linetypes. The drawing also contains a dictionary: ACAD_DGNLINESTYLECOMP with 21,135 entries - this dictionary is probably preventing you from purging those blocks and linetypes.

Fantastic indeed.   :wink:

mammajamma

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
WBLOCK
select "Entire drawing"
navigate to location and give it a name. (you can delete the old and rename the new later)
Poof, Bang, Voila.
Clean as a whistle drawing (or should be).

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
WBLOCK...
Unfortunately not in this case:
I tried all the options in purge, audit, wblock, move etc still the file size is same...
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

MeasureUp

• Bull Frog
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
In the simplest way, I think, is to copying what you want to a blank new drawing.
I have tried and the drawing size reduced from 14.727mb to about 120kb.

Faster

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »
Why do you to reduce the file size.?If you reduce the file size,a lot of usefull information will be lost!

mammajamma

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 11:13:18 AM »
WBLOCK...
Unfortunately not in this case:
I tried all the options in purge, audit, wblock, move etc still the file size is same...

Yes, but was it done by checking the box next to "Entire drawing"? This is more effective than doing a regular wblock and actually choosing the objects, with the added plus of doing both layout and model at once.
Another big help is deleting layer filters and annotative scales, which can both accumulate like a virus.
Also, using the command line "-pu" (dash purge), and "R" for regapps can get rid of some memory hogging junk.

mammajamma

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »
Why do you to reduce the file size.?If you reduce the file size,a lot of usefull information will be lost!

You're not serious, are you?
 :-o

irneb

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
Yes, but was it done by checking the box next to "Entire drawing"? This is more effective than doing a regular wblock and actually choosing the objects, with the added plus of doing both layout and model at once.
Another big help is deleting layer filters and annotative scales, which can both accumulate like a virus.
Also, using the command line "-pu" (dash purge), and "R" for regapps can get rid of some memory hogging junk.
I think those were mentioned previously, though you've clarified a good use of WBlock for anyone who'd come into such a situation.

The issue with the OP's drawing is unfortunately not cleared by any of those options. I think only a WBlock of selected entities removes the DGN dictionary (unless you've selected something which is tied to that dictionary). The issue seems to be that the dict, keeps all sorts of info about the entities imported from MicroStation and doesn't release this if those entities are erased. A WBlock of Entire Drawing includes all those dictionaries under the named object dictionary if they're not empty. Otherwise the -PU RegApps should've cleared it already.

As for why you'd want the file smaller. It depends on what data is actually in that dict and if you can ever really use it for something you'd want to. Generally though, this looks like useless data - seeing as it's something to do with MS, obviously nothing which ACad can do anything with. I might be wrong, but it doesn't appear so. Anyhow, the OP wanted the file smaller. He got it smaller, and now seems happy about it - so obviously that data was useless to him. Perhaps later he'd come across a scenario where it might make sense to keep the hidden dictionary full of who-knows-what, but at present there's no reason to. It simply uses up hard-drive space, RAM, makes the DWG run slower and causes issues when he wants to send it to someone (email would have similar limits as he's found when trying to attach the file to this thread - not to mention bandwidth is used up for no apparent reason).
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

MeasureUp

• Bull Frog
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »
Technically, most of your comments are fine, but by looking at the OP's first post, he just want to keep the single line on the drawing regardless anything else.
Therefore, copying the line to a new drawing is the answer.
Hope I haven't misunderstood the OP's point.

VVA

• Newt
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 05:08:15 AM »
I use Alexander Rivilis utility  _EXPLODEALLPROXY and _REMOVEALLPROXY and file size reduce to 86368 bites

irneb

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 02:14:41 AM »
Technically, most of your comments are fine, but by looking at the OP's first post, he just want to keep the single line on the drawing regardless anything else.
Therefore, copying the line to a new drawing is the answer.
Hope I haven't misunderstood the OP's point.
Yep it sounds that way, though it doesn't "work" that way in this case. Go open the offending drawing the OP added onto DropBox on post #10 (it's 16MB in size). Then do the copy-n-paste only line to a new blank DWG. Go save that DWG ... it becomes 14MB in size on my Vanilla 2012 (blank DWG started from ACAD.DWT file 64KB original). That's the same principle as I've noted about the WBlock only working if the selected items are not linked to that enormous dictionary.

BTW, Copy-n-Paste does much the same as a WBlock ... only less controllable.

mammajamma

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
When I used my method of "Wblock", "Entire Drawing" it went from 14,727 kb to 68 kb, without doing anything else to the file.
Pretty reduced, I'd say.
So what's the problem?

KewlToyZ

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
The objects were not directly linked to that DGN dictionary so it worked.
Otherwise WBlock would have failed the reduction.

MeasureUp

• Bull Frog
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 06:49:16 PM »
Yep it sounds that way, though it doesn't "work" that way in this case. Go open the offending drawing the OP added onto DropBox on post #10 (it's 16MB in size). Then do the copy-n-paste only line to a new blank DWG. Go save that DWG ... it becomes 14MB in size on my Vanilla 2012 (blank DWG started from ACAD.DWT file 64KB original). That's the same principle as I've noted about the WBlock only working if the selected items are not linked to that enormous dictionary.

BTW, Copy-n-Paste does much the same as a WBlock ... only less controllable.
By doing copy-n-paste, the drawing size reduced from 14.727mb to about 120kb as I mentioned on post #19.