Author Topic: Looking for some advice...  (Read 2976 times)

grdruck

Looking for some advice...
« on: February 24, 2005, 01:10:15 AM »
Hi to all you experts - need some advice...

I was asked by my boss today to do some research on a 3D package to do the following.
(I’m going to do my best on explain).

She works with AutoCAD 2005 LT which as some 3D capability but not a whole lot, (I have the full version, but I work remote for her).  LT has been ok for her up to this point in time.

She specializes in Noise and Air assessments for road improvements and determines whether or not the project study area needs barriers or not.

We’re working on a project now that has many roadways which we get from engineering companies we’re doing the work for in 2D with profiles (Z / elevations) for existing and future build conditions.

We would like to find an inexpensive software package that will give us 3D capability to add roadways in 3D and then show the barriers in relationship to these roads.

Any suggestions would be great at this time to pursue.  Also, is there an add on package for AutoCAD that can do what I stated above?  We would like to be able to real-time 3D rotate to see perspectives, etc....

Regards,

sinc

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 06:21:58 PM »
What exactly do you want to do?  Are you looking to create rendered drawings, like architects do?  Or are you trying to do something else?

If all you want to do is make a 3D drawing and zoom around in it, basic vanilla Autocad will do that just fine.  Civil design has profile stuff, but I don't know if you need it or not.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:43:23 PM »
An inexpensive 3D package ? Oxymoron.