Author Topic: temporary screen freeze in windows 7? can it be disabled?  (Read 5763 times)

Bob Q

Re: temporary screen freeze in windows 7? can it be disabled?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 08:52:44 AM »
I tried playing with these values, couldn't find anything that made any difference....

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »
There is no background running for LISP.  It's either the AutoCAD UI or LISP, not both.  This might be some of the fall-out of moving towards the "core console" concept where they further divorce the program contents from a specific UI like Win7.  It allows them to better migrate program features to Mac but in theory it could also greatly simplify migrating to newer versions of Windows as well.  Regardless, if there wasn't some wait-cursor-symbol, the user would still be unable to do anything but think the program had locked up.

If you want a status update for extremely long loops, have you tried the (acet-progress-ui...) functions?  It might also be time to review and refactor the loop with an eye towards better optimization.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »
It might also be time to review and refactor the loop with an eye towards better optimization.
That's usually the "best" option if your lisp is running for a long time. E.g. That Hatch250 routine is sending a command for each hatch selected. Perhaps you should move that command outside the loop (especially since you send the entire selection set to the command anyway). Or you could change the chprop command-call into an entmod instead. Both these should drastically speed up your routine (I mean by 10 to 1000 times faster).
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

Bob Q

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 06:27:09 PM »
I don't know anything about the (acet... etc. functions could you explain?
Thanks....

p.s. in ac2004 on same computer, none of the screen update freezes occur....

irneb

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 03:23:40 AM »
p.s. in ac2004 on same computer, none of the screen update freezes occur....
Same OS, same 32/64 bit, same Lisp code, same library calls in the lisp for both versions? Those also have an effect. E.g. running AC2004 on W7/64 would at best run it in 32bit mode, which might have different settings to the 64bit mode.

The acet functions are those contained in the Express tools package. Look under the AutoCAD program folder. You should see a sub-folder called Express. Under there is all the LSP files, read through them to see what other functions there are. Some have been compiled to FAS, or even converted to ARX - so it's not always possible though.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

Bob Q

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 09:01:02 AM »
I am guessing the older 32 bit ac2004 does not tax the cpu as hard and thus does not trigger the same reaction....

irneb

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
Not actually, the 32bit is running in a different mode in W7/64. That mode has different memory / thread management algorithms & settings. So it might be that the 32bit mode is more like XP was.

Have you tried a new 32bit ACad on XP compared to AC2004 on XP?

Bob Q

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 09:29:27 AM »
No I have not... I don't have xp installed.
I wonder if 32 ac2013 could be loaded on win7? Maybe that would work differently...

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »
Internally I imagine 2004 looks very little like the newer releases, so it isn't really a good comparison - especially when newer OS and hardware are thrown into the mix.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
I don't know anything about the (acet... etc. functions could you explain?
Thanks....
Example:
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=22840.msg274864#msg274864
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.