Author Topic: Rice, wine and sake, or how to migrate your DotNet AutoCAD applications for 2013  (Read 30647 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
The link in the OP takes me to a page to log in; I think that's an AUGIfr site requirement (one that was not needed when I read the article originally).
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Yes it has been made private or you have to join but I cannot read whatever language it is in.

I looked through it the other day and in the comments were about the reaction at the Swamp.

So as that I goes,

Serge, I do not think anyone really believes you do not know the difference between a namespace and class.

Although in your article and in Kean's those statements do cause some confusion.

When I first read Kean's article the first thing I did was look in reflector and looked for the new namespaces that contained the methods, and without looking closely you could come to conclusion that they were moved to a new namespace since the methods were members of classes that were moved to accoremgd, but the methods mentioned were made extension methods in classes in the same namespace(as pointed out by TheMaster).
Knowing that it makes more sense how to fix the errors and how to handle them.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>

Jeff, because I can't get to the article ...
Re : the piccy Tony pasted from the article showing the text for < 19
I'm not sure that those hoops need to be jumped through ... I may test it if I can make the time.

Has anyone tried it ??

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
I could be wrong but I am not seeing how you can create those hoops.

Unless maybe you do something like

#If R19
Imports ...

Again I could be wrong but for it work in 2013 don't you have to build against 4.0 and for early version how do you get it to work for 4.0?
And I do not think it will work in 2013 without a reference to accoremgd.dll?
I could be just confrused or maybe diffrent dll's are being built.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
< ... >  or maybe diffrent dll's are being built.

I believe so ; with different references ; and with the version variable set to suit.
.. perhaps different solutions using the same source files ??

The testing would need to be exemplary.

Regards,
kdub
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

Serge

Kerry,
The article is still available. I just tried the link. Usually, you needed 2 mandatory dlls: acdbmgd.dll and acmgd.dll. With 2013, you need a third mandatory dll: accoremgd.dll. You may need other dlls upon what you are doing. Don't forget that all these dll have to be declared "Local Copy" to False. To know which one does what is not that important but you can read the documentation in the ObjectArx files.

TheMaster,
I guess this discussion could last forever. Let's the other people make their own opinion.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
Serge,
Thanks, I know what is required for 2013.

The link directs me to a log-in page in French ... I understood the link directed to the article.

Perhaps it works for you because you are a member there and logged in ??

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
< ....>
This was not in my article but yes indeed, there are some changes in the Namespaces. We can read an article by Kean Walmsley in this topic in "Migrating .NET applications to work with AutoCAD 2013": http://augifr.ning.com/profiles/blogs/migration-de-solution-dotnet-pour-autocad-2013?commentId=6456585%3AComment%3A10055&xg_source=msg_com_blogpost or you can read the C:\\ObjectARX 2013\docs\arxmgd.chm help file.

This link also requires a log in.
Is it a reproduction of Keans blog or the devBlog articles ??

SGP2012

I used this thread as an excuse for a blog post, so its polite to cross-reference the post here - http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2012/05/extension-methods-in-autocad-2013.html.

Cheers,

Stephen

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull

Thanks Stephen,

I started to put some notes together last night to cover this .. now I don't need to finish and post them  :)

There are quite a few examples of extension method here at theSwamp .. back from the day they were introduced I imagine :-D

Regards
kdub.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Kerry,
The article is still available. I just tried the link. Usually, you needed 2 mandatory dlls: acdbmgd.dll and acmgd.dll. With 2013, you need a third mandatory dll: accoremgd.dll. You may need other dlls upon what you are doing. Don't forget that all these dll have to be declared "Local Copy" to False. To know which one does what is not that important but you can read the documentation in the ObjectArx files.

TheMaster,
I guess this discussion could last forever. Let's the other people make their own opinion.
So in article about using a library for 2007 to 2013 do you have an example of how that works?

Patriiick

• Mosquito
Right the article (and the whole site) has been made private since publication. I'll find a solution and will publish the public version here soon, sorry for the inconvenience.

Serge

Here is a link to the original article: http://www.cadnovation.com/articles/2012-04-15_migration_dotnet_2013/migration_de_solution_dotnet_pour_autocad_2013.htm. This URL has the advantage of showing the text and images in its full width.

To automatically translate it, you can also go on http://translate.google.com then translate the URL from French into English, giving this link: http://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cadnovation.com%2Farticles%2F2012-04-15_migration_dotnet_2013%2Fmigration_de_solution_dotnet_pour_autocad_2013.htm&act=url

Note: Something annoying is that the translation stops after about three quarters of the text length.

Thanks to Stephen Preston for his lights on extensibility (what is more natural from a PhD in laser technology).

Even if, for common use, extensibility, as defined in FrameWork 3, should be used sparingly for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I understand that for reasons of portability between different platforms, Autodesk had virtually no choice.

Nevertheless, I do not treat this subject in the article but Managed Extensibility Framework which is a new feature of FrameWork 4.0. Its goal is really quite different. Here is a link that shows the top 10 reasons to use it: http://www.wintellect.com/cs/blogs/jlikness/archive/2010/04/06/ten-reasons-to-use-the-managed-extensibility-framework.aspx and this: "An Introduction to Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF) - Part I": http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/188054/An-Introduction-to-Managed-Extensibility-Framework. You will gain in discovering. It allows you to create skins to manage your CAD standards so they can adapt to you various customers, without changing the core base.

Something very interesting arises from the article by Stephen: idiosyncrasy or peculiar behavior of the VB and C # statements concerning Imports vs. Using. If TheMaster and I are from those 2 different worlds, this probably explains why certain words are misinterpreted or seem so important for one but not to the other because we are accustomed to different reference systems.

Another significant element: the original article was almost twice longer than the one that was presented before it was translated automatically. By reducing it, it may well be that certain essential passages were lost but it did not jump yet in my eyes because the topics are still too fresh in my memory. But is it really important to hang on small details and not see the rest?

Patriiick

• Mosquito
Here is the translated version, publicly accessible, as an image. No hyperlinks but you get the full article with pictures.

TheMaster

Humility implies that I never gave myself any conceited attributes or nicknames. I believe that the other ones should decide if I am good or not.

My nickname here was intended as a pun on the ranks that users are given on Autodesk's discussion groups.