Author Topic: Stupid Land Desk Question with Alignments and Profiles  (Read 2874 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Stupid Land Desk Question with Alignments and Profiles
« on: February 22, 2005, 01:30:09 PM »
I am setting up the first Plan and Profiles in my office...
Like EaglePoint.. when an alignment or a MANHOLE or SANITARY LINE was moved, eaglepoint would ask if you want to update the database... and then it fix all the P&P's.

Does Land Desktop do this? IF so how?!

thank you
Civil3D 2020

sinc

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 01:03:45 AM »
Sort of.  Much of it isn't really automatic.  You need to define your pipes using the pipe commands.  Then, once you have your runs defined, you can tell LDD to generate a profile.  If you need to change things, you generally change the database and regenerate the profile.  There is limited capability to update a profile and write that back to the database, but the one time I tried using it I had a hard time with it.  It might be like using surfaces and cross-sections, though - I found those hard to use at first, and now find them relatively simple.  Being a surveyor, I don't have much call to use the pipe commands.

sinc

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 01:13:04 AM »
PS: don't confuse a profile with a vertical alignment.  At first, I kept getting thrown because what I thought of as a "profile" - PI and vertical curve info - is a "vertical alignment" in LDD.  LDD considers a "profile" to be the profile view of a site feature, complete with grid and annotations.  "Vertical alignments" are used in the creation of "profiles".

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 07:17:00 AM »
yes you are right... its hard to get to use it... but the thing i am interested in as well is the Draw Pipes Align Interference... it puts all the pipe crossings on the profile view.

and sinc... survey speaking... would that be something to think about when it can generate our data for surveys?... i know in the construction phase it would help...
Civil3D 2020

sinc

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 03:47:48 PM »
Quote from: MSTG007

and sinc... survey speaking... would that be something to think about when it can generate our data for surveys?... i know in the construction phase it would help...

I'm not sure what you're asking...  If you're asking if having pipe crossings on profiles is useful, then yes, it is.

Actually, if you're wondering what could make my life easier, a pet peve I have is that engineers frequently put water lines on roadway stationing.  Since water frequently goes on straight lines through curved roadways, this makes survey calculations significantly harder than if water is on its own stationing.  But I know locally the City requires engineers to do things this way, so I just have to live with it.  I've figured out some relatively quick ways of dealing with the problem, but having water on its own stationing would still make things much easier.