Author Topic: Corridor object used to insert civil points or blocks  (Read 5381 times)

jcoon

• Newt
Corridor object used to insert civil points or blocks
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:44:52 PM »
Is there a way to insert blocks of civil points based on the sampling frequency of a Corridor Object?
I’m looking for a way to drop points or blocks at the sampling interval that could be dynamic to the corridor and its section sampling intervals.  Is anything like that possible? Something like setting utility pole along you alignment at set intervals that are controlled by the section spacing. This would allow user to see location before they are inserted into the drawing. This would also allow the designer to look at a lot more alternatives in a short amount of time. Having the points or blocks dynamic to those locations would be a plus for tables and the like! 
My guess is that you can only do something like this with some coding but I’ve also seen some remarkable people use the software in very different ways to generate something it was never capable of doing out of the box.
Just thought I ask.

Thanks
john

Cathy

Re: Corridor object used to insert civil points or blocks
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »
Does the new(2012?) associative array command do what you are looking for?  I am pretty sure that it can array along a polyline.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »
The associative array would work for blocks, I'm just not sure if he wants blocks or points?

as for linking to a table, the data etraction tool could be used to create Excel file linked to a table in the DWG
 not elegant but it could work
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

jcoon

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 05:10:44 PM »
mjfarrell  & Cathy,

Yes I looked at the associated array however it’s not really what I was looking for. My real world example is for layout of runway lights. I’m already creating the geometry with the corridor and I thought that someone might have found a way to use the corridor geometry to insert civil points that have point style at the frequency of my sections. I thought if this was possible I could use a flat or zero elevation corridor based on some spacing, in my case, spacing to insert runway lights.  Being dynamic would be a huge plus. If it was dynamic I could alter my spacing if I had too many runway lights that intersected with taxiways which would require installing full mounted lights which cost twice as much as a standard light.
It’s beyond me why we don’t have a dynamic tool to insert points based on a corridor that would allow the users to insert items based on a station and offset that could be linked to a table for construction drawings.  I’ve created vba routines that do most of the above however they are static and dot net is beyond me at this point. I guess I’ll see what happens in the future.

Thanks
john     

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:48:02 PM »
J,

Now that you have explained what you are after I think you can do this with a user coded generic link.
I will run a test or two and get back.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jcoon

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »
mjfarrell,

That would be great if we could set points by the corridor object. It just makes sense to me that we should be able to insert blocks and the like based on the controlling object we are already using.

Thanks

John

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 01:06:28 AM »
John,

good news you can do this!

Bad news it will take a little bit of explaining,

What I did was created a(n) assembly from polyline, assigned point codes to it.
Added this assembly to a region in my corridor, and the this new assembly shows up with no issues.
Let me see if I can't create a tutorial for you to work from.

Watch this sapce!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jcoon

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »
Michael,

Please don't spend too much time with the tutorial. Maybe a copy of the drawing you used could be enough to get an idea of what you are trying. I’m grateful that you are willing to see if it is possible.
I’ll need to take a look at adding new codes to a polyline assembly; I’ve only done that as a demo several years ago.

john