Author Topic: Civil 3D Styles | Created By  (Read 7848 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Civil 3D Styles | Created By
« on: March 19, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
Does anyone know if the 'Created By' value is stored somewhere, or if it is programmatically brought in at the time a new style is being created?

I am trying to set that for our company name, and am trying to see if this can be done in SysVar/Registry, etc. of if needs to be done programmatically after being created (.NET?), thanks.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Civil 3D Styles | Created By
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:15:26 PM »
The default "Created By" is merely the user login name. It can be changed during style creation, and the value is accessible through the .NET API so it can be changed programatically as well.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:17:42 PM »
... I had a feeling this would be relegated to a .NET solution.

Thanks for the clarification, Jeff

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:20:57 PM »
I am wondering why one would expend the energy to do this?

Are people filching your styles?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »
Corporate directive... All styles are to have company name as 'Created by'. I'm actually just trying to save myself from having to do this manually, for each, and every, single, stinking, style. LoL

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:46 AM »
Corporate directive... All styles are to have company name as 'Created by'. I'm actually just trying to save myself from having to do this manually, for each, and every, single, stinking, style. LoL
Someone (not you) needs to worry about more important things.....
Like serving the client needs and getting the jobs submitted on time.

The person requesting this obviously has nothing to do, if they are micromanaging to this extent.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 03:22:53 AM »
It is reasonable to have a business template with styles named according business names convention. Also creation names can be set to a business name instead of pointing to one (or more) persons. It can look quite messy to have several names, even those who already left the company.

In case of drawings or projects it can be handy to see who created or edited styles, so in these drawings it is good to leave the names of the creators/editors.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 04:14:19 AM »
I'm not saying there should not be a naming convention applied to styles.

I am saying there is no value added to the client or the company, in expending any energy in setting the created by name. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:43 AM »
I'm with you on this one, Michael.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »
While I agree that this is micro-managing to the extreme, I can see a benefit for at least having the styles in a company template all set to the same 'created by' name. So attached is a ZIP file with a .NET dll that can be netloaded and run the command CREATEDBYUPDATE. You will be prompted for a new name then all styles in the drawing will be updated with the new value for "Created By:".

Anyone wanting the source code, just let me know. It is essentially the sample code for C3D provided in the Samples folder with some alterations. Works in C3D2010-2012.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
Although I understand why people think this is not worth putting time in it, I believe that doing things nice, clean and neat with just the little things, it will help you be nice, clean and neat with the big things.

If you don't see any value in a nice business template, do you like naming conventions?

Or are you not interested in putting things in different layers?

Are you one of those people who don't care much about updating geometry, if one can update the dimension as well?

Or what about file naming, like "design today.dwg", "version 2 (1).dwg", "version 2 better.dwg", etc.

And there are people who don't comment code and name every control just Textbox1, Textbox2, Button1, etc (probably not on this forum)  :? :)

On the other hand, not everybody should be a hair-splitter  8) Just be effective with a little sense of tidiness... But I do like having a nice business template.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »
I am a stickler for naming convention with styles, but the created by portion never phased me.
Dropbox

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »
Too many posts to quote 'em - put simply, this stems from two main factors...

1) I'll use the analogy that my employer provides +/-80% of what we need by way of best practices, templates, etc. that is to be used as a starting point, given that we're +11K employee international firm. The rest is a free for all, and is up to us regional CAD Admins to work out in accordance with our client's, and regional standards in mind, based on the intent provided. Ergo, every region (may?) have a slightly different style (pun intended).

2) Corporate (despite being comprised of Canadians) is unable to locate the letter "I" in the word "Team," thus we (regional CAD Admins) shall do as they wish-aye... keeping track of who has created what will be done via the Modified property.

While I agree that this is micro-managing to the extreme, I can see a benefit for at least having the styles in a company template all set to the same 'created by' name. So attached is a ZIP file with a .NET dll that can be netloaded and run the command CREATEDBYUPDATE. You will be prompted for a new name then all styles in the drawing will be updated with the new value for "Created By:".

Anyone wanting the source code, just let me know. It is essentially the sample code for C3D provided in the Samples folder with some alterations. Works in C3D2010-2012.

Jeff - Just downloaded this, will give it a look-see after hours. I really appreciate your help!

Cheers! :beer:

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 06:23:55 PM »
FWIW -

Tested the .DLL in 2011 (both network, and local netload) and all result in fatal error. I made sure to unblock the .ZIP first. 2012 worked like a charm.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 06:29:41 PM »
Worked for me in 2011.
Dropbox