Author Topic: Text sizes  (Read 4960 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Text sizes
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »
What would cause the text to be different sizes between model and paper space? I have an xref with some simple text in it. All the text sizes are correct in model space. But when I go to my sheet it's tiny. *shrug*
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

M-dub

Re: Text sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
Annotative?

OBJECTSCALE
ANNOAUTOSCALE

Dunno...

Annotation scale is a setting that is saved with model space, layout viewports, and model views. When you add annotative objects to your drawing, they support the current annotation scale and are scaled based on that scale setting and automatically displayed at the correct size in model space.
Before you add annotative objects to your model, you set the annotation scale. Think about the eventual scale settings of the viewports in which the annotations will display. The annotation scale should be set to the same scale as the viewport in which the annotative objects will display in the layout (or the plot scale if plotting from model space). For example, if the annotative objects will display in a viewport that has a scale of 1:2, then you set the annotation scale to 1:2.
When working on the Model layout or when a viewport is selected, the current annotation scale is displayed on the status bar. You can use the status bars to change the annotation scale. You can reset the annotation scale list to the default list of scales stored with your user profile in the Default Scale List dialog box.
You can use the ANNOAUTOSCALE system variable to update annotative objects to support the current scale automatically when the annotation scale is changed. ANNOAUTOSCALE is turned off by default to keep file size down and improve performance. When ANNOAUTOSCALE is off, this button   is displayed this way on the right side of the status bar.
Use the CANNOSCALE system variable to set a default annotation scale setting.
You can reset the list of annotative scales in a drawing to the default list of either metric or imperial scales defined in the registry with the Default Scale dialog box. The unused scales in the drawing are purged and the customized list of scales from your user profile are merged into the drawing

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:54:18 AM »
What happens if you just reset the annotative scale?

In the viewport (unlocked), select the scale list from the bottom right and select the active scale to reset. Sometimes I have to do this to display all text.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »
beats me! no luck thus far. I'm guessing it has something to do with the annotative BS. I never use that feature so i'm confused why it's giving me such a problem now.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
I think this may have to do with the Parent Child relationship between the text style definitions in your current file (Civil 3D) which uses text size as a Paperspace value; and the text style(s) definition in the XREF (child) drawing.

Redefine the text styles in the XREF, or even one and verify that the problem is resolved.
Or send me your file(s) to resolve.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:21 AM »
Redefine the text styles in the XREF, or even one and verify that the problem is resolved.
Redefine how? I changed the font but that didn't help.

I now have different sizes in paper space and model space. *shrug*

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »
Redefine how? I changed the font but that didn't help.

I now have different sizes in paper space and model space. *shrug*
Like change the style NAME not the stye font.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
Are you talking about C3D Labels...?

There's a long-standing problem where C3D Labels that are in XREFs will "freeze" at the modelspace scale set in the XREF.  They size correctly in paperspace, even if they're in an XREF, but they might look VERY WRONG in modelspace.

The way it works is that you set the "print height" (aka the size you WANT to see in your final print) in the Label Style.  This then gets multiplied by the Drawing Scale (in modelspace) or the Viewport Zoom Factor (in paperspace), so that the text in your final print is the size you set in your Label Style.  Best thing is to ALWAYS use the scale setting in the status bar to change things...  This will change both the Drawing Scale and the Annotative Scale if you are in modelspace, and will change both the viewport scale and the viewport Annotative Scale in a paperspace viewport.  This keeps you C3D Labels and your Annotative elements in-sync.

To get back to the other issue, say you have some labels in your base drawing, and the Drawing Scale is at 1" = 50' in your base drawing.  When you XREF that into your sheet drawing, your C3D labels will remain "frozen" at 1" = 50' in modelspace in your sheet drawing, no matter what you do.  They'll size correctly in paperspace viewports in your sheet drawing, but in modelspace, they'll stay stuck at 1" = 50'.