Author Topic: AutoCADLT vs BrisCAD  (Read 8902 times)

craigr

AutoCADLT vs BrisCAD
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »
I had started another thread about when the next Rev of LT is coming out, but that thread evolved into whether to switch to BrisCAD instead of ugrading from our LT2008 to the latest Rev of LT.

So, I thought I should start a NEW thread for more questions about BrisCAD.

One BIG  thought that just came to mind is 'batch routines'.  We currently use a prg called MultiBatch to run various scripts on multiple dwgs. We HEAVILY use this software to rip thru as many as 200 dwgs to run various scripts / macros. Some of the scripts are as simple as printing to our printer or to .pdf. Other scripts are such as replace '####' with 'XXXX' for example.

IF we switch to BrisCAD, are there prg's out there that have the same ability?

If not, this would definately be a deal breaker.

Dinosaur

Re: AutoCADLT vs BrisCAD
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
I am testing ScriptPro from Autodesk as I type this ... It is seeming a bit cumbersome but I have never used it or anything similar to compare against.  I noticed that it provides a pointer to chose the CAD application.  If your current solution will allow running Bricscad, you may not have to worry about changing.  Regardless, Bricscad does seem to work with batch scripting.

Dinosaur

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
Addendum -

I downloaded a trial copy of your MultiBatch.  It appears to work with Bricscad but you have to lie to it in the program setup and direct it to Bricscad instead of an Autodesk product as it will not detect it on its own.  It does not want to run my scripts at the moment but if you have something working currently with correct paths etc, it should run with any enhancements that are needed for the newer DWG format.

craigr

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
I jumped on Briscads web site and briefly looked for a link that I could post my questions directly to them, but couldn't find such a link. - Again, I only spent 5 minutes or so looking for it.

If I come in early enough in the morning, I will give it another look.

Thanks for the replies,
craigr

Dinosaur

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:22:05 PM »
A lot of links seemed to open after I downloaded the trial version including ones for "Meeting Point", Knowledge Base", "Forums" and "Support Requests" but I think you need to have the account initiated by the trial download to use at least some of those.  Try starting here -

http://www.bricsys.com/en_US/support/

craigr

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to find a link for me.

I did send them a message explaining what I am after and asked them for a phone number or they could call me to discuss further.

BTW, I've said it before and I'll say it again - I LOVE this discussion Board!! You folks are the most helpful of all of the boards I've been on!

Thanks again,
craigr

craigr

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »
Well, I posted my questions on the Bricscad site last Thursday or Friday. - In any of your experiences with them, should I expect a reply?

I was surprised not to have a response when I came in this morning.

Bottom Line, I don't want to lose anything that I have now, by switching to Bricscad. Losing the ability to use the MultiBatch is a deal-breaker. - I will be emailing them about Bricscad.

If I recommed this switch and we do it, AND we lose funcionality, I will not look good in the Boss's eyes! I know others in my dept. will complain, no matter how GREAT Bricscad is, but it is how I look in the Boss's eyes that matters to me. If Bricscad brings us a great increase in productivity AND costs less, then I am willing to switch. Heck, if the costs are similar and it brings us a big increase in productivity, then I am willing to switch! I just don't want to switch, just for the sake of switching. It isn't worth the complaining from others.

craigr

Dinosaur

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »
I am not sure how responsive Bricscad forum might be.  My guess is you would have faster results asking MultiBatch folk about how their product works with Bricscad.  You might try asking some LT folk about what problems might be encountered migrating your older scripts into 2012 ... you could also ask about 2010 migration since V12 seems to be about equal to 2010 features.  If at all possible, try to score an evaluation copy of  any product you want to consider and plug your stuff into it should you REALLY want to avoid any surprises.
My gut feeling is that Bricscad will be able to work with your scripts and office workflow just fine but will likely require modifying some scripts. Most of those modifications might also be necessary with the jump to 2012 LT.  You will have a lot more customization available with Bricscad and an able programmer may be able to work up a package that could replace most of those scripts.  Either way you jump will require a bit of testing and adjustments.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »
...  If at all possible, try to score an evaluation copy of  any product you want to consider and plug your stuff into it should you REALLY want to avoid any surprises.

X2

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

craigr

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »
As far as switching to the latest rev of CAD, I plan on setting up an extra workstation to work out any troubles bringing my macros from 08 to the new rev. Once I get this new workstation set up and running smoothly, I will then transfer the settings to THIS workstation & hopefully work out any transfer issues there also.

I am defiinately taking it slow this time as compared to the past where we just 'jump in with our eyes closed' then work out the troubles. All the while losing productivity and angering everyone. I want to do everything that I can to make this major jump as smooth as possible. I may even create an 'in house' instrucional video to show how to transfer settings.

As far as the MultiBatch email, it has been sent. They are pretty good at responding within a day or so, in fact usually overnight.

craigr

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:54 AM »
any word on Bricscad and multi-batch?

craigr

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 07:41:13 AM »
Yes,

MultiBatch said that Bricscad 'kinda' worked with a couple of scripts by, as mentioned above, fooling the software into thinking it was AutoCAD. But, that they are going to say that it doessn't support it. Also, they said that they have intended to write a version for Bricscad, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Bricscad did fiinally respond and answered all of my questions. The only 'batch routine' they have ONLY prints a large set of dwgs. They have nothing in their software that does the same as MultiBatch and they know of no 3rd party software that does.

The watermark that CAD uses to say the file was created with a 'non-Autodesk' product, cannot be removed by saving the file with Autodesk. They said that it stays with the file  & know no way to remove it.

So, it looks like we will be staying with Autodesk. I sent a formal email to the higher ups that we will not be changing to Bricscad at this time. IF, in the coming years things change, then I will re-evaluate the situation.

craigr

LiteD

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »
Have you seen nanoCAD? I've read about it in Ralf Grabovsky's blog. Looks nice, but slightly outdated. Seems that nanoCAD creates clean DWG. Could be good free alternative to LT.

craigr

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 01:54:27 PM »
NamoCAD.

No, I haven't heard of it, but might have to check it out.

IF it is FREE, perhaps it might be useful for our Field Guys to make 'Markups' to our Construction drawings. - Especially if it leaves a 'Clean' drawing.

craigr

(edited) - I guess I HAVE checked it out before. I just now went there and started reading it and figured out that it looked familiar.

craigr
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:57:56 PM by craigr »

deegeecees

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »
If you're looking for low cost/free...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-cad/