Author Topic: How to lock an Autocad file>  (Read 11441 times)

HasanCAD

• Swamp Rat
How to lock an Autocad file>
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:09:33 AM »
I want to send cad file to client but don't want him to edit.
Is there a way to lock the file?

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
Re: How to lock an Autocad file>
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »
Not easily, and not any way of making it "impossible to edit". Just ways of making it less easy to edit, e.g. change everything into a block and set it's properties to disallow explosion.

Alternatively, the most "secure" way would be to convert everything inside the DWG into subobjects of a Custom Object. That way only those with the addon to deconstruct the custom object would be capable of editing the internals by converting them back into linework.

One of these type of systems is DwgLock. Unfortunately not free, but most of these ARX addons wouldn't be free.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »
Send him a PDF.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

irneb

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
Yes, that would be the "correct" way of doing things wouldn't it? PDF or DWF. Though even that can be converted to editable - though loosing some accuracy at least.

Unfortunately I've also found clients who insist on the DWG files. So either you keep your DWG's at home, or you have business to conduct  ;)
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »
Plot to PDF, convert PDF to PNG, export to ASCII format then send as multiple RAR files that they need to assemble before using.   :evil:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »
First order of business: what does the contract say is to be delivered?

Add a legal disclaimer to the border to the effect that only the stamped and signed copy is valid.  Plot a copy for your internal records and apply a wet-ink stamp and signature, and send the DWG without any stamps or signature.  If any questions of legitimacy come up, you can produce the original.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

laidbacklarry

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »
We provide a tool in our application just for this need. Our "Lock Drawing" function turns the entire drawing into a MINSERT. About the only thing the reviewer can do is Erase the Minsert... can't Move, Copy, or otherwise edit any entity in the drawing. Of course a decent programmer could write a Deminsert routine, but most people reviewing a drawing don't have that skill... most don't even know what a Minsert is. Haven't tested this since ACAD 2006, so I don't know whether ACAD has changed the definition or limitations of Minserts.

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 07:41:34 PM »
If you need real security, use our CADVault product:
http://www.cadlock.com/products/CADVault/

HasanCAD

• Swamp Rat
Re: How to lock an Autocad file?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 04:02:09 AM »
Thanks
I appreciated all suggestions.
these suggestions are more than what I was thinking I can get.

Thanks all

irneb

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 04:33:53 AM »
An alternative mentioned in another thread (I can't remember where though) instead of trying to lock the drawing, rather just digitally "sign" it. I.e. use something like SHA / CRC to produce a Hash code of the DWG file. This way you can compare the file at a later stage to this hash code, and see if it differs. That way you can prove that the client has edited the file.

Of course this only applies in some instances, but at least it's an alternative. I'd actually go with some combination of these.

DRIU

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 10:08:13 AM »
Hi,

If you move all objects to the custom object, usual user wont be able to access information. But in theory,  is it possible from the dwg to extract those objects?
Example (in LISP):

(100 . 'MyCustomObject')
(100 . "AcDbEntity")
(67   . 0)
(410 . "Model")
(8     . "0")
(100 . "AcDbPolyline")
(90   . 4)
(70   . 0)

Start reading from AcDbEntity?

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »
Plot to PDF, convert PDF to PNG, export to ASCII format then send as multiple RAR files that they need to assemble before using.   :evil:
:lmao:
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox