Author Topic: Backwards compatibility of .vlx and .cuix?  (Read 2093 times)

SIDESHOWBOB

Backwards compatibility of .vlx and .cuix?
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:59:27 AM »
Two questions...

1 What is the earliest version of autocad is that I'm likely to be able to run a .vlx compiled in autocad 2011 in?

2 .cuix was introduced in autocad 2010 - what mechanism did it replace?

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
Re: Backwards compatibility of .vlx and .cuix?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:10:50 AM »
VLX should still work in 2000, perhaps even R14 with the Vital Lisp extension pack. Your real problem is the stuff inside the VLX, you could've used a default function only introduced later - e.g. layer states.

CUIX replaced CUI, which was introduced in 2006/7 (can't remember exactly). Prior to that you had MNU.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

SIDESHOWBOB

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:07:39 AM »
Updating this question for the year 2013..!

.cuix files made in Autocad 2013 still seem to work in 2010.  Is this behaviour guaranteed?  Will it continue to be guaranteed with 2014, 2015 etc..?

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »
You are never sure what Autodesk do in the future :-)

But Cuix files are actually Zip-files that contain CUI files and bitmaps. The same system that Docx and Xlsx uses. So that is quite common and I can't find a reason to change this. Only Autodesk might come with new tags or options inside the CUI system.

Compare this with Lisp: Lisp files are also backwards compatible but if you call a newer system variable then there will be an error message.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:36:33 AM »
But Cuix files are actually Zip-files that contain CUI files and bitmaps. The same system that Docx and Xlsx uses. So that is quite common and I can't find a reason to change this. Only Autodesk might come with new tags or options inside the CUI system.
Yep and the CUI files inside that CUIX is in fact XML files (again similar to DOCX/XLSX/ODT/ODS/etc.)

And all that an XML file is is something similar to an html file, with the exception that its tags define a structure for data instead of how to display a web page. So as long as ADesk don't rename one of those tags inside the CUI backwards compatibility might be easy to keep. If they add a new feature into the CUI (e.g. the ribbon panels are new from 2009 onwards) these "should" simply be ignored when opened in an older acad. At least, that's how it "should" work if ADesk follows XML rules and general common sense.

I have found though that the CUI easily becomes corrupt if you try and edit it manually (even using an XML editor to keep its XML rules correct). I've even just edited a comment in the CUI and still this caused an error when loading it. So I'm not too sure how ADesk has implemented CUI reading. It doesn't appear to be a standard XML stream reader, as most other programs use. If it was then stuff like comments would not cause the entire XML to fail. So I can't say for sure if some future version of CUI might cause total incompatibility with an older acad.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.