Author Topic: Launch Civil 3D XSL toolbox report from the command line  (Read 2281 times)

sdunn

• Newt
Launch Civil 3D XSL toolbox report from the command line
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:58:30 PM »
I cannot find anywhere in the report source code where a command is created that starts the process.  Is it possible to launch an xsl based report from the command line or via code? 

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: Launch Civil 3D XSL toolbox report from the command line
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »
XSL or XML?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

sdunn

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »
The General Legal Description for Parcels.  It is an XSL report.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
I've looked for ways to do so, and tried numerous things, all without success. It would probably help if I knew how the XML/XSL files work together, but I haven't figured that out yet either (not that I've tried too hard, because looking at the code for these makes my head hurt :-) )

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
I'm not familiar with Civil3D, so they may be using XSL term as something else.  If they are using it for actual XSL, I might be able to help with that.

XML is a nice, structured data format using tagged elements.  XSL is an instructional language used to transform XML into other forms, whether its HTML, CSV, or a different arrangement of XML.  Typically what would happen is a program generates a report in XML, either as data or as as XML file.  If the XML is just data, the XSL can be applied to transform the content to a text stream which is written to a file (for example, HTML).  If the XML is saved to a file, then it can be read back in and transformed, or a pointer to the XSL file can be added to the XML header, which causes the stylesheet to be applied when the file is double-clicked.

In theory, if the program like Civil3D stores the XSL stylesheet separately you could customize report format by changing the XSL contents without touching the internal program structure.

Look here and here.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

sdunn

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:15:02 AM »
I can and have modified the style sheets and much of the java based code they contain.  I am after the mechanism that is used within Civil 3d to initiate the report process.