Author Topic: CIVIL 3D  (Read 5265 times)

Dent Cermak

CIVIL 3D
« on: December 10, 2003, 10:30:38 AM »
A while back there were some questions about the new Civil 3D. Just got this in:

AU: CIVIL ENGINEERING GOES 3D
In September, Autodesk made a preview version of its new Civil 3D
product available to customers for use on nonproduction projects.
Unlike Autodesk's next-generation 3D architectural and mechanical
design products, Civil 3D is built on AutoCAD. Like the other
products, you use intelligent objects to construct a 3D model. Chris
Bradshaw, vice president of the Infrastructure Solutions Divsion,
says Autodesk hasn't encountered any problems with the size of the
datasets involved. Interoperability is a key concern, so Civil 3D
imports Land Desktop project data and saves in DWG and DXF formats.
You can also import and export LandXML files. Though Civil
3D is intended to eventually replace Land Desktop and Civil Design,
Bradshaw says the products will live side-by-side for a while. A
shipping version is due out in the second half of 2004.

WHOOPDEDO!! Start saving your money now. So what will I use if I don't do 3D? Beffed up LT?

stevemac

civil 3d
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 12:34:41 PM »
I used 2000LLD to build a 3d model of a 200 lot sub. it did pretty good, so I wonder , whats the bells & whistles for in the "new" civil 3d . not offen do I encounter a client needing 3d, but if it can flag potential underground conflicts with utilities....that may be plus.... but of course... "kick out the cash" cause autodesk needs a new pair of shoes for this release...

side by side compatability you say... then send it off to somebody and "fatal error" ...  "you dont have" ... something it'll need.  

ok enough belly-achin , especially since I haven't played with it yet...

Dinosaur

CIVIL 3D
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 01:22:32 AM »
I just got the new release of Civil 3D and the "bells & whistles are really quite impressive - much better than last year's pre release.  It has a formidible array of settings, but once all of the styles are set for it, I would happily fire up Land Dev for the last time.  All of the textis to the correct scale in any scale viewport and is also plan readable in any UCS.
If you can get your hands on a new demo, give it a shot.  It also comes with ACADMAP functions.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
CIVIL 3D
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 09:17:03 AM »
Quote from: Dinosaur
I just got the new release of Civil 3D and the "bells & whistles are really quite impressive - much better than last year's pre release.  It has a formidible array of settings, but once all of the styles are set for it, I would happily fire up Land Dev for the last time.  All of the textis to the correct scale in any scale viewport and is also plan readable in any UCS.
If you can get your hands on a new demo, give it a shot.  It also comes with ACADMAP functions.

Does it run autolisp?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dent Cermak

CIVIL 3D
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 11:44:57 AM »
I just got my copy.According to the poop sheet that comes with it, this is going to be the new civil pac for LDD. I believe the new version of LDD will be called Civil 3d.The wave of the future. So it's a replacement Mark, not a stand alone.Autolisp will still reign.

Dinosaur

CIVIL 3D
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 06:02:19 PM »
Applications and Lisp routines load the same as in ACAD.  One very attractive feature is the dynamic updating of surfaces and the profiles using them.  A change of elevation for a given point will change the surface display instantly without rebuilding the surface.  You can also set the surface to display many different types and combinations of information - topo, drainages, flows, elevations, watersheds, etc.

I am hoping to find a way to specify and lock different annotation styles for individual lables without being too cumbersome and keep the dynamic updating and readability features.  LDD has been a major disapointment with its labeling, fighting me at almost every turn to get the final results I want.