Author Topic: AutoCAD API Wishlist Survey 2013  (Read 3208 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
AutoCAD API Wishlist Survey 2013
« on: May 21, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
Quote from: Virupaksha Aithal

AutoCAD API Wishlist Survey 2013

It is my pleasure to announce the launch of the AutoCAD API wishlist survey for 2013. I hope you’ll be willing to give 5-10 minutes of your time to take the survey – the results will be used to guide the efforts of our engineering team.

Click here to take survey

The survey will remain open until 21st of June 2013.

DevBlog article here.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

CADbloke

• Bull Frog
  • Crash Test Dummy
Re: AutoCAD API Wishlist Survey 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »
Do they have a survey on their survey? How about - "start at the beginning and not at the end". We all know what "Submit" means, right? (see pic of the first screen of the survey) Apparently not. Sheesh.

My first impression of the survey from that first screen was "huh? No questions? I must have missed it." My second impression is that they really didn't ask many questions, apart from asking me to identify myself twice.

Yeah, I'm being nitpicky but it's a good example of how Autodesk just don't relate to the user-experience expectations, or the priorities, that the rest of us take for granted. The AutoCAD user interface's departures from Microsoft's user interface guidelines and their API's ever-changing ways are other great examples of this.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »
And the one for the Civil 3D API:

DevBlog Article

Please, everyone place their marks for Parcels and Grading, do what you want with the other one. :-)

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 12:29:27 PM »
Is there a difference between a "Survey" and Marketing Research?
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

TheMaster

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »
Do they have a survey on their survey? How about - "start at the beginning and not at the end". We all know what "Submit" means, right? (see pic of the first screen of the survey) Apparently not. Sheesh.

My first impression of the survey from that first screen was "huh? No questions? I must have missed it." My second impression is that they really didn't ask many questions, apart from asking me to identify myself twice.

Yeah, I'm being nitpicky but it's a good example of how Autodesk just don't relate to the user-experience expectations, or the priorities, that the rest of us take for granted. The AutoCAD user interface's departures from Microsoft's user interface guidelines and their API's ever-changing ways are other great examples of this.

Their surveys are more-or-less kabuki dances.

Their marketing objectives define what they do, and the customer's opinion doesn't really come into play. For API related issues, it never has. Their API development has always been driven by their own internal functional requirements and little more than that.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:36:59 AM »

Their surveys are more-or-less kabuki dances.

Their marketing objectives define what they do, and the customer's opinion doesn't really come into play. For API related issues, it never has. Their API development has always been driven by their own internal functional requirements and little more than that.

I agree 100% with that summation.
We only need to look back over the published results for last several years to deduce that the API user is largely ignored.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.