Author Topic: Fields: is there a way to extract from a table the contents of a cell into field  (Read 7437 times)

Dent Cermak

And my experience is base on 35 years at Maptech, Inc. , a surveying firm. Plus , before coming to Maptech, 3 years with the U.S. army Corps of Engineers and 6.5 years with Michael Baker, Jr., all doing the same type work.
My arguments are based mainly on the economics of the situation. Period. And none of those arguments fall flat at all.
If C3D has increased your productivity 5x, then you must have been awful slow to start.  :-o  That is a totally unrealistic figure. That is saying that what used to take you a week, now takes you a day. RRREEEEAAALLLLYYY!!  :lmao:

sinc

If C3D has increased your productivity 5x, then you must have been awful slow to start.  :-o  That is a totally unrealistic figure. That is saying that what used to take you a week, now takes you a day. RRREEEEAAALLLLYYY!!  :lmao:

Yes.  RRREEAAALLY!!!

And I don't think we were slow to start...  We had a number of people start working for us when we were using Land Desktop, and said they thought they knew how to use Land Desktop when they started working for us.  Then after working for us for a while, they said they had been using just a fraction of Land Desktop's capabilities, and never knew how much they could do with that software.  Yet we out-perform that by leaps and bounds, using C3D.

And I'm not making estimates...  I'm talking about long-term staffing requirements.  The field guys have gotten faster as their equipment has gotten better, yet we now have far fewer office techs per field crew.  I view long-term staffing requirements as being far more telling than estimates, or "shoot-outs", or anything else.  (And by "long-term", I mean over a period of a couple of years.)

sinc

I think more and more people are starting to agree with me.  That's why the adoptation of C3D seems to be growing so much.  Many DOTs are doing more and more work in C3D (even if they haven't officially abandoned Microstation, so far...), and even the Army Corps is showing signs of "breaking rank" with Microstation and moving to C3D...  I recently heard an anonymous member of the Corps call .DGN "a dirty word".  More and more people are moving to C3D, as they discover its immense power.

I just wish it didn't have so many bugs....  Using C3D, we can now do even more, faster, and to a higher degree of quality than ever before.  But the constant bug-fights, with constant yearly upgrades that often seem to introduce more bugs than they fix...  Yeah, I don't much care for that.  But given what we can do with C3D, we've kind of been "biting the bullet", as distasteful as it may be at times.

Dent Cermak

Yes.  RRREEAAALLY!!!

And I don't think we were slow to start...  We had a number of people start working for us when we were using Land Desktop, and said they thought they knew how to use Land Desktop when they started working for us.  Then after working for us for a while, they said they had been using just a fraction of Land Desktop's capabilities, and never knew how much they could do with that software.  Yet we out-perform that by leaps and bounds, using C3D.

And I'm not making estimates...  I'm talking about long-term staffing requirements.  The field guys have gotten faster as their equipment has gotten better, yet we now have far fewer office techs per field crew.  I view long-term staffing requirements as being far more telling than estimates, or "shoot-outs", or anything else.  (And by "long-term", I mean over a period of a couple of years.)

Hmmmm, Long term employees. Slim is our newest employee, all the other cad techs have over 20 years with the company. Over 50% of our field crews have 20+ years with the company. Yeah, I think we get the idea of long term employees.

sinc

Hmmmm, Long term employees. Slim is our newest employee, all the other cad techs have over 20 years with the company. Over 50% of our field crews have 20+ years with the company. Yeah, I think we get the idea of long term employees.

Sounds like a "Shwiiiing....!"

You completely missed my point.  I wasn't talking about long-term employees, I was talking about staffing requirements over the "long haul".  In other words, how many office staff are required to support a given number of field staff.  We went from a 1:1 relationship with a heavily-customized LDD setup, to a 3:1 relationship now.  I'm probably the exception, in that I typically support 2 field crews while only working half-time, and also doing all IT, webmaster duties, the odd support requests for Quux Software (which may come in while I'm at EJ Surveying), answering phones when necessary, etc.   That's why I say I can now easily support 5 full-time field crews, if I were to be a full-time C3D tech.  That's opposed to when I used to work 40 hours/week, mostly supporting only one field crew, with LDD.

If you have long-term employees, AND you can train them to do what I do with C3D, then the cost of a seat of Carlson vs. a seat of C3D becomes almost irrelevant.  Of course, when one employee can do the work formerly done by five, well, that doesn't help our nation's unemployment numbers any....  Makes the company owner happy, though.

Dent Cermak

I'm done. Your "logic" is evasive at best. I address your points and you tap dance to the semantics tune. 500% increase in productivity? Bullshit!!
My last words on this. Evidently only YOUR opinion counts. (Little hint: Any business that says that a major cost differential between software packages is irrelevant is doomed to fail.) There is NOTHING that we do that I cannoy do in Carlson. I do not need the civil portion. To pay triple for C3D is assinine. Don't need it. Don't use it.
Won't pay for it. Productivity in C3d survey portion is not $4,000 superior to whay I have now. No way.
End of discussion.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
If one can do more work in less time the cost of the 'tool' to do that work is justified.
Why do you think your local tire shop uses air wrenches as opposed to a manual 4-way tire iron?

I've seen people make huge leaps in productivity with Civil 3d after I train then.
While you may not agree with the logic the SINC is using, I can attest that with proper training
a company can more then recoup the cost difference.

It may be true that 'all' you do is survey, however even at that C3D can still compress the work cycle.
As I've said, I've seen it happen.

Key point being that one get good training early in th process for all users.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dent Cermak

You are "preaching to the choir" on that point.