Author Topic: Kung fu grips  (Read 5220 times)

McRojo the Irishman

Kung fu grips
« on: December 09, 2003, 06:06:03 PM »
Hey Kiddies,

Is there a way to add a midpoint grip (or have lines automatically divided into N segments) without using pedit?  Say... setting a variable to automatically divide...

daron

Kung fu grips
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 06:17:29 PM »
break select @. That'll break your lines where you select them.

McRojo the Irishman

Kung fu grips
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 06:31:35 PM »
Thanks, Daron, but breaking the line is not what I want to do.  I only want a polyline (I should have specified) to act like a line.  When you draw a single line, it has a midpoint grip.  When you draw a single polyline, all you have are two endpoints.  I would like to draw a closed polyline (rectangle) and have the polylines be editable either by midpoint or dividing (by variable) the sides of the rectangle into sections.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Kung fu grips
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 08:24:44 PM »
Interesting concept....I did a program once to divide a polyline into twice as many segments, then undivide it again...let me see if I can find it..
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Kung fu grips
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 09:19:20 PM »
Sorry.. the proggie was a no go.. it must have been lost in my crash...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

McRojo the Irishman

Kung fu grips
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 11:57:36 AM »
I was thinking about this last night and realized I left out one little bit.

The midpoint grip of a line moves the entire line.  It would be nice if the midpoint of the (p)line  acted as a hinge, so to speak.  I have a program that will allow me to stretch an existing spline into a new shape while keeping the length of the spline the same.  That's the closest thing I have.

I'm going to be teaching a handful of students at an academy for foster kids who didn't make it through the system.  I'd like to be able to start with a square and, by moving grips, change the shape of the square.  It's a visual thing I think might keep an attention level...

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Kung fu grips
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 12:02:23 PM »
Kinda like what you can do with a viewport in Pspace?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

McRojo the Irishman

Kung fu grips
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 12:44:22 PM »
Kinda like exactly, Mark.  Sounds like part of the routine would be found in the VP routine, part pedit (inserting a new grip), and part divide.

Fuccaro

Kung fu grips
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 07:15:25 AM »
Quote from: McRojo the Irishman
I would like to draw a closed polyline (rectangle) and have the polylines be editable either by midpoint or dividing (by variable) the sides of the rectangle into sections.
For sure you know this, but please let me repeat for the beginners browsing this forum:
Click the rectangle to select it. Hold the shift key and click two (or more) grips. All the selected grips are red. Release the shift and click a red grip point. Move the mouse and all the selected points will follow you. Click the final position.
This is the way I resize my rectangles...

Hangman

An answer ... Sorta
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 05:25:24 PM »
Here's what I end up doing, ...

I use two lisp routines here.   The first is crack, then specify a point that I want to crack the pline.  In this case, midpoint.   IF the pline is closed, it mearly opens the pline with the crack but you still have a pline.  (Much like a closed pline rectangle).   You can edit it and close if you wish.   IF the pline is open and I crack it, it breaks the pline into two pieces.  I then use the second lisp file, pljoin and connect the two together to have one closed pline.   I then have a vertex or grip centered on the pline.

I came across a lisp file once that created a vertex anywhere you specify on a pline without breaking or cracking it, but I'd hardly ever use it so I passed it by.   Can't remember just where I saw it at now.   :?