Author Topic: Revit - Communicating your model with others ...  (Read 4976 times)

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
Revit - Communicating your model with others ...
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:08:43 PM »
Good afternoon everyone, I hope you have all had a fantastic new year.

I am curious as to how you, my fellow Revit designers, communicate your designs with other drafters/designers.
The reason behind this question is that I rarely get invited to any meetings where I can discuss some issues from the Revit side of the design.  I am constantly reminding the engineers to bring up such topics, but if the draftsman/designer from the other consultants are not at the meeting, it doesn't go very far.
There are also the delicacies involved in speaking with others over the phone or through email - like the boss thinks we are not on a professional level, or we may sabotage the project in some manner, or we may injure a fragile relationship between the offices, etc., etc., ...  I don't know.
But I feel that with the increasing use of Revit and the demand for a working model, the designers using Revit are in more need of communicating than ever before.

A good example of this is a project I am currently working with.  The architects drafters are not familiar with the required design we are providing for them, so they are simply putting in placeholders.  It seems foolish to the engineer to request some of these placeholders be moved or deleted so our design can take precendence, but as long as the placeholder is there, the architects model overshadows our design and our model is viewed as 'incomplete' or missing some elements.
So, should I rebuild the architects model so I have all of their walls, doors, etc, and then make the adjustments as I need them?  It wouldn't matter much as my model will be linked into the architects master anyway.  Then there'll be two of every wall, door, etc. and the architects model will still be overshadowing my own model.
Then of course I hear about it AFTER the meeting when the engineer comes in and mentions some of our model is missing.

Anyway, I am curious as to how you would communicate what you, the designer needs for your model, to the other offices?

I have been creating a Starting View and putting a note to see the "Discipline Model Notes" under the Sheets.  Then I create a sheet with notes to the architectural designer, the structural designer, the HVAC, etc. regarding my model and things which need to be acknowledged between our designs.
But if the other disciplines don't open my model, they won't see the note to read the "Discipline Model Notes".  I don't know if this is worth persuing or how to better inform the designers in the other offices that I have some information which will help them and myself in our project.

What think you?

Thank you for your intuition.  :)
Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Revit - Communicating your model with others ...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »
It sounds like email would be the best way to get the point across as well as document any special requirements.

"Hey, you can't do that.  That's not what we agreed to."
"Remember this email?"
"Ohhh.... yeah."   :|

There is definitely some "training" involved for those going to the meetings who most likely don't know much, if anything, about how Revit works.  Hell, we still have people saying "blocks" and "layers" and "freeze" when talking about Revit.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »
Hell, we still have people saying "blocks" and "layers" and "freeze" when talking about Revit.
Raises Hand sheepishly.  That would be folks.   :cry:       :roll:     :lol:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »
Hell, we still have people saying "blocks" and "layers" and "freeze" when talking about Revit.
Raises Hand sheepishly.  That would be folks.   :cry:       :roll:     :lol:
Your hand smells like sheep??
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »
I had to skake Greg's hand.  :x
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans