Author Topic: DWG File Open Error  (Read 2370 times)

AfricaAD

DWG File Open Error
« on: February 15, 2005, 01:59:50 PM »
Hi! A colleague just got a new workstation with 2k2 + Svp1 which I put together. His machine was ghosted with 4 others, & he is the only one getting this error:

This only occurs when a file is opened thru explorer & will open a session of ACAD even though ACAD is already open with the SDI disabled. I am not sure where to start with this one. I reinstalled ACAD + Svp1 & still the same results.

All the paths for our standards are set & everything else is going where it needs to be.

Thanks!

M-dub

DWG File Open Error
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 02:45:59 PM »
Did he (or a subsequently installed program) change the file associations for DWG files?  Check to see which program is being used to open them and how.  Compare to a PC that is not having the same problem.

(Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> Files tab)

Just a shot, I guess...*shrug*

AfricaAD

DWG File Open Error
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 03:50:20 PM »
Nope. The file still opens in ACAD.

M-dub

DWG File Open Error
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 04:02:52 PM »
The reason I wonder is because *I THINK* all error messages that occur within AutoCAD have 'AutoCAD' in the titlebar.  The msgbox you posted *LOOKS* like a Windows box...
Sorry, I'm not sure what else it could be...
Is the code the same in the Folder Options?

(Select DWG from the list of registered file types and click on the Advanced button.  Under Actions, select Open and click on the Edit button.  Then compare two machines against eachother.  Maybe this is what you just did...just wanted to clarify...)

PS - I changed the title of your post to be a little more descriptive.  Hope you don't mind. ;)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
DWG File Open Error
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 11:52:22 PM »
It is indeed a windows error .... it likely has to do with the DDE server ... otherwise it would have recognized that AutoCAD was already running and utilized that one instead of opening another one. I have seen the same problem on Win2000 and XP when dragging files from the "default user" desktop to a program when "default user" is not logged in. It has to do with the path to the file being part of the
%systemroot% variable I think..
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

AfricaAD

DWG File Open Error
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 03:47:50 PM »
Hmmm....must have been something he installed. I am gonna have to troubleshoot.