Author Topic: High speed menu bar temporary move?  (Read 4844 times)

Bob Q

High speed menu bar temporary move?
« on: December 31, 2011, 05:59:37 PM »
O.K. this might sound a little weird, but here goes....
I have had the good fortune to have recieved a Christmas present (o.k. to myself) a new Dell 30" monitor with 2560 x 1600 resolution.

The only thing I am finding troublesome as you might be able to see by the attached screen shot, is that now my autocad menus are, as expected at the top of the screen.  This new size of monitor brings with it the problem that you now have to travel your mouse a great distance to reach the menu bar items.

So here is  crazy request:  Is it any any way possible to utilize a button on the mouse to temporarily "shift" the menu
bar to the middle area (i.e. shift down halfway across the screen) until a selection is made, then have it shift back to where it was (or disappear entirely?).   I know this is strange, but might save me from some carpel tunnel syndrome if there is a way to figure it out....
Cheers!!

ElpanovEvgeniy

• Water Moccasin
  • Moscow (Russia)
Re: High speed menu bar temporary move?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »
I for many years been using the monitor 30" 2560x1600!  :-)
Try to increase the speed of your mouse...
Believe me, after a week you do not even remember about such problems!

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »
Ditto  8-)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »

Ditto
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
I'd advise the same ... though setting your mouse faster makes it a lot more sensitive. You'll need to play around with speed vs accuracy.

If you find you can't work with an overly sensitive mouse, then you could redefine the right-click menu to duplicate the menu structure in the drop-downs. But that's a whole lot of editing the CUI.

I actually don't mind large resolutions as much, since I'm a keyboard junkie and use the menu maybe once in a month - if that. For me drop-menus (and especially nested drop menus) are simply WAY too cumbersome to use. Then toolbars take up way too much space. The ribbon needs extra training, but seems to help a bit if you've got your settings right (the default takes up too much space IMO). Actually I would prefer getting back to those old tablets I used to use in the DOS days, but the boss doesn't seem to want to hear about them  :pissed: . Some use extra keypads where they can program each key to a specific command, which is similar to the experience I had on the tablets - but boss being the way he is, that doesn't fly with him either  :ugly:
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:35:32 AM »
You could accomplish this task with the CUI Editor... But why go through all that effort when a (simple?) LISP could modify the current Menu options programmatically, then restore the previous settings once a command is invoked (using Command Reactor), or when the user hits Escape key... Then just configure the mouse button with a macro that invokes the LISP function. Just a thought.

I haven't tried coding this yet as my new dual 24" monitors will not arrive until later this, or even next month. *kicks dirt*
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Bob Q

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »
I haven't found any easy method to move the menu bar, and some sugest it can not be done.
I turned up my mouse acceleration and seem to be getting used to the extra size... I think it will all be o.k. and the sky is no
longer falling  :-o

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:47:26 PM »
I haven't found any easy method to move the menu bar, and some sugest it can not be done.

To be clear... There is no way of 'moving' the menu bar; rather only a means to temporarily 'modify' the menu bar options (programmatically of course).

I turned up my mouse acceleration and seem to be getting used to the extra size... I think it will all be o.k. and the sky is no
longer falling  :-o

Glad you found (tried) the simplest solution.  :wink:

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »
I didn't realize people still used the menubar enough to see it as a problem to be at the top of the screen on a large monitor.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »
I didn't realize people still used the menubar enough to see it as a problem to be at the top of the screen on a large monitor.

Some of us old farts can't seem to integrate effectively.    :wink:

Here's what I use to compensate for the large screen (along with the increased speed of the mouse).

Code: [Select]
(defun c:T()
 (command "toolbar" "MY CONTROLS" "F" "612,65" "2")
 (princ) ; F = Float, screen coords = "###,##", "2" = Rows
)
Then create a custom toolbar in the CUI called "MY CONTROLS" or whatever you so desire.

Back around the age of the dinosaurs, I think they called this a 'floating toolbar' as you could have it closed after each command or button on the toolbar is pressed.  Then with the single key pick, your toolbar would be back in front of you to use again.

I still prefer the keyboard and a simple toolbar over the ribbon.  The ribbon is still too slow.

I guess the ribbon does work well for those monotonous moments when you are resting your head in your left hand in a stupor as your right hand picks away searching for a command to do something ... zzz
Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 05:25:32 PM »
Sounds like DOSLib's dos_PopupMenu function... Just less functional, and more CUI Editor.  :lol:

Bob Q

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »
Thanks Hangman, I will have to look up toolbars.....

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »
My first ever post on this site included code for a "menu" displayed at the mouse coords - so maybe search for me?  And yes - I'm an old fart as well: ribbon? whats' that? :evil:
James Buzbee
Windows 8

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 01:09:01 PM »
Hey, in older versions, I have been known to turn off the menu and all toolbars and only use keyboard entry.

I do leave the ribbon on, as it works for Arrays, Hatching, Text Editing, etc. but I rarely, if ever start a command with it.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 12:06:07 AM »
I do leave the ribbon on, as it works for Arrays, Hatching, Text Editing, etc. but I rarely, if ever start a command with it.
The ribbon helps in some cases, though it's still not as fast as keyboard shortcuts ... not to mention single-click / -press tablet/keypads. There's simply no getting round the spacial memory you build up by knowing "where" the command is instead of how to get to it. And in some cases I actually turn it off since it makes ACad work slower (e.g. editing complex & large hatch shapes).

I can definitely imagine a pop-up menu at the current cursor position, though it would probably be a lot of CUI work or some extensive Lisp modding the menu on the fly. Though I'd imagine it would be more effective than having to move your cursor away from the objects you're working on each time you want to do something. And a floating toolbar (and yes they still call it that) could accomplish much the same thing (as Hangman's noted).

I'd just advise (if you go this route) to keep the pop-up as streamlined as possible - avoid nested submenus as much as you can, so you'd probably just place your most used commands in this menu instead of duplicating the entire dorp-down menu. Note you can also have several different pop-ups depending on keys pressed while right-clicking. E.g. Shift-Right-Click might bring up a different menu from a normal Right-Click. Thus you could have at least 3 different pop-ups without needing nesting.

For myself, the default right-click pop-ups are fine. The Shift-Right-Click to open the forced snaps menu is my 2nd best alternative - just under keyboard shortcuts programmed into the CUI to send enp/perp/int/cen/quad/tan/etc to the command when it asks for a point.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.