Author Topic: Moving standards to a network Server  (Read 3989 times)

caddcop

Moving standards to a network Server
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:46:09 AM »
This is a question for both AutoCAD and Civil 3D (multiple versions). If you can help with one or the other it would be appreciated.
I have started moving a number of files to a common network location. The same drive letter exists in two offices on a local server, where I keep identical folder structures. I have user areas and common areas. This way, if a user has to work in either office, their CUI(x) and other customizations follow them and the fonts, linetypes, etc. are also identical.
I have tried creating deployments to reflect these, but I cannot get the proper setup to run. So I have exported ARG files and have a script that replaces certain folder location with the network folders, including substituting the %USERNAME% into the path for the network user files.
Recently, I have started working on setting up a newer version and feel like I am almost starting from scratch. In addition, I do not know for sure which files can be shared between versions and which cannot.
I know my templates need to be version specific, especially for Civil 3D as the last thing you want to try is using the wrong version or one with no styles. And for some files, like images or icons, I can use for any version.
Adding to the confusion is that during a normal install, in addition to files going into the All Users folder structure, some files go into an area included in the RoamableRootFolder while others go into the LocalRootFolder - both of which, by default are under the %USERPROFILE% location. However, many of these files seem like they should be in the All Users folder structure - like templates.
So I am looking for any advice from other CAD Managers who have more experience who can share some of their knowledge and practices. TIA

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Moving standards to a network Server
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Templates and Tool Palettes, I would path those on the workstation AFTER a normal installation
of the various versions.

What issue exaclty is using a 'deployment' creating for you? 
are there specific error messages or errors that result?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

caddcop

Re: Moving standards to a network Server
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 02:42:36 PM »
There was a message box stating that the install could not locate the folder [SomeVariableLikeName] ... and had a retry or cancel button.
The SomeVariableLikeName in the [ ] was obviously indicating that there was some path in my deployment that the install could not find, but I cannot recall the exact name that was in the brackets. I searched all over to see if I could figure out where in the deployment that the actual path was defined as opposed to this substitute variable, but could not find anything similar to the name listed.
I also had issues with one PC where the setup would start and never finish. It would open a progress bar and fill in one square and never anything else and according to Task Manager it was not responding. And I had nothing else running on that PC.