Author Topic: Revit Issues  (Read 14041 times)

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
Revit Issues
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
First off, I apologize if this is the wrong forum, none really seem to apply here. There was a thread on the vent section that started talking about Revit in the process and it seemed like it could highjack the thread, so I wanted to start a thread that would be more appropriate.

We were discussing the drafting quality of Revit. The first thing is you cannot do proper numbered lists with multiple levels, within Revit, as shown in the attached image.

There are many more issues, but I will start with this one, as it was the last thing mentioned in the other thread.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Revit Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »
First off, I apologize if this is the wrong forum, none really seem to apply here.

We were discussing the drafting quality of Revit.
What was wrong with the Revit Forum:)

I'll be back to post more later.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »
I didn't know where it was (didn't look too hard, getting ready to go to lunch), sorry about that, moderators, please move it.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »
Can not have more than one electrical connection to a device........
So you can not create a 2 gang switch.   

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »
That is an issue as well, but I am mostly referring to drafting quality or rather a lack thereof.

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »
Thankfully we haven't had to do a bulleted list like that.  When we do, we do it the difficult way of using spaces/tabs and hard returns.  One tip I've picked up that has helped us when we've needed to do this was to type ZS (Zoom Sheet Size) THEN edit the text.  You know how sometimes when you edit text it decides to rearrange itself?  ZS has drastically reduced (not eliminated) it in most cases.
Autodesk Expert Elite

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »
Yes, that is one of the major problems we have with Revit. Honestly, creating these lists is very, very common for our cover sheets, along with a few others, so this is something we need.

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 07:47:18 AM »
You could do the schedule trick for creating a block of notes.  It still lacks some of the formatting capability of AutoCAD's MText though.
Autodesk Expert Elite

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 08:28:25 AM »
Listens.

Okay.

Next!
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here for camaraderie

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:10:41 AM »
You could do the schedule trick for creating a block of notes.  It still lacks some of the formatting capability of AutoCAD's MText though.
That is a creative way around it, don't really like the idea, but it does the trick for now.

Now, the next one is that our CAD standards state that whenever possible, all leaders should be drawn at the same angle, line up with each other (either vertically or horizontally) and have the same landing lengths. I have yet to find a way to accomplish this in Revit, you can get somewhat close by eyeballing it, but that is not good enough.

I have attached an example to this email. This is rather simplistic, but it gives you the idea. (Note, this can also be mirrored angles as needed as well).

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
Now, the next one is that our CAD standards state that whenever possible, all leaders should be drawn at the same angle...
That's getting REALLY anal, isnt' it?

...line up with each other (either vertically or horizontally)...
That's easy enough.  Annotation will "snap" in line with other annotation.

...and have the same landing lengths.
See first comment.

I guess if you really HAD to have the same leader angles (although I don't see how that's possible on all drawings given the amount of notes on some sheets, but okay...) you create one then copy it around.
Autodesk Expert Elite

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »
Now, the next one is that our CAD standards state that whenever possible, all leaders should be drawn at the same angle...
That's getting REALLY anal, isnt' it?

...line up with each other (either vertically or horizontally)...
That's easy enough.  Annotation will "snap" in line with other annotation.

...and have the same landing lengths.
See first comment.

I guess if you really HAD to have the same leader angles (although I don't see how that's possible on all drawings given the amount of notes on some sheets, but okay...) you create one then copy it around.
It's my boss's standard and honestly we tend to get our drawings through plan check faster and with fewer comments than our competitors, so he has to be doing something right.

No, it doesn't have to be the same on all sheets, just all leaders on that sheet (or as many as possible, obviously there will be exceptions to these rules).

Yes, creating one, then copy it around works, but is time consuming. Honestly, with AutoCAD, we can draw leaders to these standards very quickly., even without using LISP routines, thanks to some of the mLeader tools. I have created LISP routines that make it even faster though, so all in all it takes us less time to draw leaders to these standards in AutoCAD than it does to draw leaders that are not to these standards.

Annotation will snap, most of the time, but not always in our experience, I am not quite sure why it fails when it does.

Bobby C. Jones

• Swamp Rat
  • Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
Now, the next one is that our CAD standards state that whenever possible, all leaders should be drawn at the same angle, line up with each other (either vertically or horizontally) and have the same landing lengths. I have yet to find a way to accomplish this in Revit, you can get somewhat close by eyeballing it, but that is not good enough.

My first thought would be to build an annotation family.
Bobby C. Jones

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »

My first thought would be to build an annotation family.

Agreed.  It'll take some time, ... probably a lot of time, but if that is what you want...
But also remember, Revit is NOT Autocad and shouldn't be seen as Autocad.  I've seen offices work their fingers to the bone and frazzle their brains trying to make Revit look and work like Autocad.  It's tough dropping an office standard and starting something new, but it's worth it.  Eventually you start seeing the 'new' stuff of Revit as a standard.
Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:22:13 AM »
Eventually you start seeing the 'new' stuff of Revit as a standard.
Agreed!!

Let go of the past and embrace the future!!
Autodesk Expert Elite