Author Topic: Layout Tabs  (Read 8736 times)

CADaver

Layout Tabs
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 05:26:16 PM »
Quote from: AVCAD
... does away with having layers on and off in the VP...
"THE" viewport?? as in one?  You only have one VP per drawing?

which is another petpeave of mine.
?why?

Plus if you have some one using multiple layouts onc eyou end up going into model space....by the lords...you would think a bomb went off in the drawing it is so crazy messy...although this happens even with out using any layout tabs.
Pardon me, but I haven't a clue what that sentence means.  What do layout tabs have to so with the elements in modelspace??

If there is a T-101b and T-101c and you use layout tabs you have to remeber that those are in the same T-101 file and my mind is not all that good....
You're joking, right?

ALSO....I use Script pro to plot and my script only prints out the Layout1 tab....
Okay, that's a reason, but there are tools available to get around that, a great one on these boards.

I know they dont xref to other drawings but...why they hell are they there then!!
the original file used them to present drawings maybe??

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Layout Tabs
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 05:58:57 PM »
AVCAD wrote:
"THE" viewport?? as in one? You only have one VP per drawing?

AVCAD wrote:
?why?

AVCAD wrote:

Plus if you have some one using multiple layouts onc eyou end up going into model space....by the lords...you would think a bomb went off in the drawing it is so crazy messy...although this happens even with out using any layout tabs.
Pardon me, but I haven't a clue what that sentence means. What do layout tabs have to so with the elements in modelspace??

AVCAD wrote:
If there is a T-101b and T-101c and you use layout tabs you have to remeber that those are in the same T-101 file and my mind is not all that good....
You're joking, right?

AVCAD wrote:
ALSO....I use Script pro to plot and my script only prints out the Layout1 tab....
Okay, that's a reason, but there are tools available to get around that, a great one on these boards.

AVCAD wrote:
I know they dont xref to other drawings but...why they hell are they there then!!
the original file used them to present drawings maybe??

So you like layout tabs CADaver (so do I)......obviously AVCAD has a system of his own. I believe the initial question was "Is there a LISP that will just delete all the Tabs in a file?? "......not "Could somebody please analyze the things I'm doing, and comment on anything you feel is not right to you?" He found what he wanted......why can't it just be left at that?

Ron :roll:

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

SMadsen

Layout Tabs
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 05:15:04 AM »
CADaver found what he wanted, too ... a discussion  :lol:

Quote from: CAB
While on the subject on tabs.
Is there a way to detect which tabs are selected when more than one is?
I see there is a way using DOSlib, but is there a way with just lisp?

I haven't found a way, CAB. Via ObjectARX you can do it and define it as an AutoLISP function (probably the exact same way that DOSLib is doing it) but I don't think a built-in method exists. On the same note, I believe LAYOUTLIST is an externally defined function, also.

CADaver

Layout Tabs
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 08:01:04 AM »
Quote from: ronjonp
...why can't it just be left at that?
For the same reason you felt it necessary to jump in here, maybe?  Anytime AVCAD, or anyone else, wishes to stop responding he/she is quite free to do so.

One primary method by which we, all of us, improve our processes, is by questioning them.  Otherwise we'd all still be using V2.5

If someone asked you for a lisp function that made dimension text update automatically as you stretched it, would provide the routine, or point out that associative dimensioning accomplishes just that?  I'm just taking that same concept to every other aspect of the program.  

While "each has his own way" may be "politically correct", it completely ignores the FACT that some methods really are more efficient than others.  This may not be that case, but "bounce checking" methods from time to time is nearly always profitable in some form or another.

AVCAD

Layout Tabs
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 11:32:19 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
"THE" viewport?? as in one?  You only have one VP per drawing?

No some drawings have Multiple Vp's...enlarged room plans mostly.

?why?

Just is. I dont like mess.

Pardon me, but I haven't a clue what that sentence means.  What do layout tabs have to so with the elements in modelspace??

Ask the architect why they draft laike crap, and leave elements all over the place. I have found elevations there, differant furniture layouts...notes to themselves...things have no purpose what so ever...why..they are architects...ask them. I just clean it up.

You're joking, right?

Why would I joke. If you have 3 drawings in one and all three need to be worked on...one one person can work on them then. I just never like the Tabs. I think they are pointless. doesnt make the overall file size of the project anyless, caused me aggrivation when plotting. Yes I know there are programs to help with this, but really when is enough enough with the add-ons... keep it simple. If you can use a script why not. I mean the program that "helps" you print is basically useing a lisp or a script file anyways. So really what is the differance.

I am all for the upgrading and evolving of the CAD programs, but some things well are pointless to me...like the new rev cloud option...draw a box then select it to turn to a cloud...I like the 2002 revcloud withthe thickness to it...are you going to try to flame for that too.

Like I said in my post...though I do use scripts of other reasons. My plotting script jsut doesnt do Plotting it also etransmits the files after they print. Just making my life easier...here print these drawings..use this script...I go get coffee and a doughnut...come back and its done.

I am sure there is a program that does that too, that someone hase probably worked really hard on to code...but why bother when there is script pro.

My rant is done.

I got the code that was needed to make my life alittle more bearable.

Sorry bad mood today!

whdjr

Layout Tabs
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 11:50:02 AM »
AVCAD,

I'm not trying to tell you the best way for you to work, but if you know someone nearby that uses TABS frequently and could get them to walk you through the benefits of using them I really think you would like them.  If used properly they really do save time.  :)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Layout Tabs
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2005, 12:29:14 PM »
This may not be that case, but "bounce checking" methods from time to time is nearly always profitable in some form or another.

I'll agree with that. :D

Custom Build PC

CADaver

Layout Tabs
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2005, 01:37:23 PM »
No some drawings have Multiple Vp's...enlarged room plans mostly.
So you'll still have to deal with layer control in different viewports.

Quote from: CADaver
?why?

Just is. I dont like mess.[/quote]What mess?  A messy drawing has absolutly nothing to do with layout tabs.

Ask the architect why they draft laike crap, and leave elements all over the place. I have found elevations there, differant furniture layouts...notes to themselves...things have no purpose what so ever...why..they are architects...ask them. I just clean it up.
But that has nothing at all to do with multiple layout tabs.  

Quote from: Cadaver
You're joking, right?
Why would I joke.
Dunno, but my question was about remebering that file T-101 had T-101a, b, & c in it.  I mean that's pretty basic isn't it?

I just never like the Tabs. I think they are pointless.
Until you have a road modification that spans 12 miles and 32 sheets.  Then you might see that they work very well for controlling matchlines and saving time when making a similar mod several times over several drawings..  

Or maybe a 3D modle of a 600,000s.f., six level equipment structure.  Then you'll learn to love multiple tabs.

doesnt make the overall file size of the project anyless,
When working on models that are 50-60MB, a couple of K for layouts is not worth thinking about.

caused me aggrivation when plotting. Yes I know there are programs to help with this, but really when is enough enough with the add-ons... keep it simple. If you can use a script why not. I mean the program that "helps" you print is basically useing a lisp or a script file anyways. So really what is the differance.
The difference is using one that works well with multiple tabs vs. using one that doesn't.  If you have the time to burn, manipulating the supplied files, I guess go ahead.  But we don't have budgets with that kind of fat.

are you going to try to flame for that too.
If you think this is a flame, you've not been paying attention.  I'm merely asking you to test your notions before chiseling them in stone.

...but why bother when there is script pro.
My point wasn't about Script-pro, I use it as well.  But there are other methods available that work with multiple tabs.

I got the code that was needed to make my life alittle more bearable.
untill the next sheet space advancement, anyway.

Sorry bad mood today!
When?? Where??  :wink:

CADaver

Layout Tabs
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2005, 01:38:05 PM »
Quote from: ronjonp
This may not be that case, but "bounce checking" methods from time to time is nearly always profitable in some form or another.

I'll agree with that. :D
awww man, I HATE it when someone agrees.  Makes me go back and review my position.

Biscuits

• Swamp Rat
Sort Tabs
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2005, 02:05:16 PM »
Code: [Select]
;      This routine will sort layout tabs in alpha-numeric order
;
(defun C:TABORDER (/ cnt)
(vl-load-com)
(setq cnt 1)
(foreach lay (acad_strlsort (layoutlist))
(vla-put-taborder
(vla-item (vla-get-layouts
(vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object))
)
lay
)
cnt
)
(setq cnt (1+ cnt))
)
(princ)
)

** edit by MST **
Put your code in the code tags. makes it much easier to read. *wink*

Biscuits

• Swamp Rat
Layout Tabs
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2005, 02:07:09 PM »
;      This routine will sort layout tabs in alpha-numeric order
;
(defun C:TABORDER (/ cnt)
(vl-load-com)
(setq cnt 1)
(foreach lay (acad_strlsort (layoutlist))
(vla-put-taborder
(vla-item (vla-get-layouts
(vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object))
)
lay
)
cnt
)
(setq cnt (1+ cnt))
)
(princ)
)

Biscuits

• Swamp Rat
Layout Tabs
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2005, 02:16:25 PM »
Sorry for the double posting. I'm seeing double today. I could sure use a cold one about now.

AVCAD

Layout Tabs
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2005, 11:41:19 AM »
OK, just we are all aware that I am not nuts in what I say...please download this and check it out for you self and then tell me that the people I get drawings from should be using tabs and the drawing doesnt look like a an A-bomb went off.

And this is one of the better one..

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/avcad/sample.zip?nossi=1

This all has to do with tabs, If the drawings were split up instead of having everything drawn on top of each other life would be alot simpler.

The whole layer managment system is jsut way WAY out of control. You shouldnt have to have 50 layers turned on or off just to view a simple floor plan and furniture. Maybe 5, 10 at the most..

How hard is it to have a Walls, Doors, Windows, Furn, Plumbing, text, dims, and maybe some misc. layers....

ELOQUINTET

Layout Tabs
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2005, 01:22:14 PM »
maaaan that is too funny i feel for ya avcad. don't feel insulted cadaver will argue about paperspace til the cows come home. i think it comes down to your discipline. i do fabrication so there's no way i could break a job down with seperate files. i project my details off of my elevations too so when i adjust one the other automatically updates, can't do that with multiple files. to each his own i say

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Layout Tabs
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2005, 01:30:11 PM »
Looks like those architects need a talk about "XREFS".   :D

Sorry you gotta look a that mess :(

Ron

Custom Build PC