Author Topic: Thank you, David Stein!  (Read 16458 times)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Thank you, David Stein!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »
Good to know. I still haven't come to terms with buying a digital book. If I'm going to spent the money, I want something tangible. I'm not saying I won't ever warm up to the eReader, but not quite yet - I do read some *free* stuff on my phone/computer, but I just prefer paper.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:47:46 PM by alanjt »
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
I still have a buying a digital book.
And I has a grammar.  :)
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 01:36:15 PM »
I still have a buying a digital book.
And I has a grammar.  :)
Wow, I left quite a bit out of that sentence.  :ugly:
Dropbox

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
Send Dave an email asking him if you can convert it. Dave is a super cool guy. Of course it goes without saying that you can't send out his hard work if he doesn't want you to.

Funny enough, that's exactly what I did... I submitted an albeit frustrated comment (something to the effect of "Where's the PDF!?"), to which he personally responded. I wasn't expecting a response at all, let alone one from Dave himself. LoL

To clarify, here's an excerpt from that conversation:

Quote from: David Stein
I can understand your frustration, but I can't convert it to other formats due to a variety of reasons. The biggest one being the license agreement with Amazon of which I'm bound to.
If I released a PDF it would allow unlicensed copies to spread and nobody would buy the book anymore.

Dave is super cool. Unfortunately though, getting a converted copy of the book is not possible (at this time). *kicks dirt*

Hopefully enough people purchase the eBook, so that the PDF, and/or hard copy versions can be made available in the near future.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »
Quote from: David Stein
If I released a PDF it would allow unlicensed copies to spread and nobody would buy the book anymore.

An unfortunate myth amazon likes to float around. Various other publishers, like APress, InformIT, O'Reilly etc. don't share that philosophy / policy and ship PDFs. I have purchased many books in PDF form (some are branded at purchase time with my name, others are branding free). I've also tried Kindle eBooks, and sorry but, the Kindle format sucks hard -- I decided awhile ago I would not invest in any more kindle sh1t. Regardless, I wish David well and hope he makes some coin from his efforts.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »
The mobi format sucks because its old and outdated. They've tried to update it (improve the compression, DRM, etc. when Amazon purchased it) but its just a major pain the butt for formatting. Especially when it comes to <pre> <tt> sections which reading anything for, or which has to do with, code...well you get my point (It truly is just bad). The mobi format is fine for regular books though; I mean, its been used for years for that so...

If you get a eReader I recommend the Sony. They read the ePub format, which is "open" to BTW, and is far better for code related reads.

Just for the record: eReaders are nothing like reading on the screen. I love my eReader (just wish i could have afforded the good one).

Donate to TheSwamp.org

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »

Just for the record: eReaders are nothing like reading on the screen. I love my eReader (just wish i could have afforded the good one).
What did you go with?
Dropbox

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 03:01:51 PM »
I have the Sony PRS600. However, I got mine for super-ninja-cheep. I wouldn't pay $200 (or whatever they are going for now). If I were to buy one agin I would try to get the prs950 or prs650 (It has a better screen--mine is a bit reflective).

Notes:
The 900 series is just bigger than the 600 series.
I also think that wifi would be kind of a joke. The OS on these things is about as powerful as a calculator.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »
I'm obviously in agreement with the failing(s) of the Amazon Kindle eBook scenario - that's why I originally voiced my frustration.

I refuse to get an eReader; if a book is not available in hard copy, or a digital file format compatible with my iPhone, iPad, or computers, I don't need the book.

Books I am reading for fun, I still prefer to be in hard copy, whereas reference books (like VLDB mentioned here) I prefer to be digital for the search functionality.

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
Kindle Newbie Here asking question: 
If I buy and down load the book at home, how do I get it at work?  Basically can the file be transfered from PC to PC without any hassles?

Actually, anything you purchase is abailable to you no matter what device you use... Even your notes, current page, etc are synced between my laptop at home, and my iPhone (for example).
I just want to move it or have a copy in two places.  Is this possible.

The reason is I typically make on-line purchases at home but if I have buy it at work, no biggie then.
With Kindle you can have it on any device that is associated with your account. For example my account is on my phone, my wife's phone, my kindle and both of our computers. So, I could put the book on all of those.

Ok, that had spelling errors in it, yikes!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:37:56 PM by cmwade77 »

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 05:37:24 PM »
I'm obviously in agreement with the failing(s) of the Amazon Kindle eBook scenario - that's why I originally voiced my frustration.

I refuse to get an eReader; if a book is not available in hard copy, or a digital file format compatible with my iPhone, iPad, or computers, I don't need the book.

Books I am reading for fun, I still prefer to be in hard copy, whereas reference books (like VLDB mentioned here) I prefer to be digital for the search functionality.
By the way, there is a free Kindle app for your iPhone/iPad and for your computer. You can read Kindle books on any of them.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 05:42:48 PM »

There is also this :
Kindle for PC is a free application that lets you read Kindle books on your Windows-based personal computer--no Kindle required
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »

By the way, there is a free Kindle app for your iPhone/iPad and for your computer. You can read Kindle books on any of them.

Yes thanks, those (Kindle for Mac, and Kindle for iPhone) are what I've been using since April 2011, when I purchased David's book.

codered8x

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 05:10:53 AM »
Thank  David Stein ! I am researching The Visual LISP Developer's Bible 2003, it make me feel so interesting.