Author Topic: Using UpperCase for all letters in text for CAD Drawings.  (Read 21267 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Using UpperCase for all letters in text for CAD Drawings.
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:29:13 AM »
When did this trend start and why.
The only thing I can think that I really do not like about it is when I switch to a different program and forget to turn off the caps lock before I start typing.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Re: Using UpperCase for all letters in text for CAD Drawings.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:35:50 AM »
I've always used upper case in drawings, even many years ago on the drawing board. On a drawing board it made it easier to read, but I personally think it looks neater to have all the letters the same height :)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »
The only thing I can think that I really do not like about it is when I switch to a different program and forget to turn off the caps lock before I start typing.

Check out Keith's little program!
It works great.   It is old and not all MS Windows apps will comply with it but it saves a lot of time and cussing for me. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:35:18 AM »
In all the places I have worked over the last 35 years, the only place where the standard was NOT all upper case lettering was at an unnamed global engineering company with the initials Black & Veatch.

deegeecees

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »
I believe LeRoy started this, but I'm guessing.

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 10:09:47 AM »
I've seen a few drawings with "sentence case" and they all look ridiculous.

As to how the standard began... I have no idea.  Maybe it's because there are more lower case letters that look very similar?

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »
Autodesk buys rights to all uppercase letters

Dinosaur

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
I've seen a few drawings with "sentence case" and they all look ridiculous.

As to how the standard began... I have no idea.  Maybe it's because there are more lower case letters that look very similar?
Was mostly to accommodate reduced size drawing sets.  A standard sized engineering drawing reduced to a ledger sized plot really needed to have all of the characters at least .1 if not .125 to be clearly readable on the reduction.  The lower case letters were an odd height that were difficult to reduce from any of the standard lettering guides and Leroy sets and for the sake of uniformity, all caps were a better choice.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 10:35:03 AM »
I think it may have developed from hand drawings.  Upper case is mostly straight lines so its easier to print faster and more legibly e.g. a A e E f F h H m M n N.  Upper case also avoids spacing problems from dangling lower case letters such as j, p, g, q, y.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

StykFacE

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »
I think it may have developed from hand drawings.  Upper case is mostly straight lines so its easier to print faster and more legibly e.g. a A e E f F h H m M n N.  Upper case also avoids spacing problems from dangling lower case letters such as j, p, g, q, y.
Yep, you're on the money. My grandfather is an engineer from the 50's and they used all uppercase for legibility purposes.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 11:30:18 AM »
yup -- all upper case is a hold over from the manual drafting days.  much faster to do straight strokes for all lettering by hand, than trying to fit tiny curves into the sentence.  Especially if you used an ames to set the line spacing and stroke angle.   Heck, the tradition may go all the way back to medieval times, when scribes used upper case only, since that was pretty much the only letterforms in use. 

today, with computer generated lettering, kerning, and ttf fonts adapting weight to height, it's not essential - just traditional.  Arguably, all upper case is harder to read in a wall of text - if it was easier that's what the phone book would use.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
Arguably, all upper case is harder to read in a wall of text - if it was easier that's what the phone book would use.

What is this *phone book* device you speak of...?  :?

:lmao:

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 04:14:13 PM »

Check out Keith's little program!
It works great.   It is old and not all MS Windows apps will comply with it but it saves a lot of time and cussing for me. 

I am glad that thing is still working for you ... I am surprised with the latest round of OS changes ...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 05:19:30 PM »

Ever try using the CAPS toggle in the Text editor?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »

Ever try using the CAPS toggle in the Text editor?
AutoCAD's Text editor?
If so then yes.